Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What laptop to buy? Where to buy?

What laptop to buy? Where to buy?

In the market for a new laptop to replace an old brick I have. Primarily be used for email, excel and other applications but nothing complex like the coordination of a Mars landing. I'm thinking I can get away with spending $700.00 - $1200.00 for a decent machine. School me please.

Best Buy or Costco for the purchase of it?
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

the conditions I work in are shitty dusty dirty - I use a laptop daily just for functions you mentioned - I have a ACER its my second one - normally I would buy a mac but this does the job I need it to do - it's pretty close to other more expensive models but lacks high rez - I generally don't stream, download, game or utube - but I do read a lot - its called Aspire3 - I'm not much into the geeky side of what these things can do - It's an AMD radeon dual processor 8 gb ddr 4 memory - 1000 gb hdd (its all French to me) - always buy mine at Staples was around $500.00 - i'm experimenting with not getting anti-virus I've never had a problem on my phone so I don't think I will have an issue's with this - we will see what happens

edit: the first ACER was very similar was about 100 cheaper and lasted me about 3-4 years was used daily for probably more that 12 hours a day on average...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Been buying all our office computers from Newegg.ca . Seem to have the buck go further there than in big box stores. Last couple have been Lenovos but have also run a couple ASUS, no complaints. I think minimum you need 8gb memory, ideally more. I care less about physical storage since we store everything to cloud, only the software is local so I look for an SSD over HDD.

Something like is what I go with. https://www.newegg.ca/black-lenovo-i...1TS-000E-0DBB2
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Thinkpad with Trackpoint

I have a DELL Inspiron 15, 5000 Series. Purchased it for $700 on sale early in 2019 @ Best Buy. Has been a great laptop so far; light and fast. Definitely recommend the SDD vs. standard HDD (hard drive). The solid state drive makes things much faster. My machine boots up in about 15 secs. Also has finger print recognition so signing in is also a breeze/fast. Has Wifi, ethernet, 3 USB ports and an SD Card reader and support for HDMI connection as well.

I had used AMD processor machines previously.....and found they ran to hot, so chose Intel I5 processor this time, and it definitely runs cooler.

Black Friday is coming up at the end of the month. Might be some great deals to be had.

Best Buy - Best Buy Canada will be introducing a Black Friday price guarantee this year. Starting Nov. 8, Best Buy will be offering special deals flagged as “Black Friday Price Now” – those products will be the same price for Black Friday. They’ll also be introducing more Black Friday deals every week leading up to the day of.
    ~Scott B

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmare View Post
    Black Friday is coming up at the end of the month. Might be some great deals to be had.
    This!! If you can wait, deals will be coming.

OP, you have a healthy budget. With that, get minimum 8GB of ram, SSD storage, Intel I5 and FHD screen.

^^ Agree with those specs.
    ~Scott B

“Thinkpad with Trackpoint” as per GR

Second that
    Last edited by Mustang4; 11-08-2019 at 12:31 AM.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmare View Post

Best Buy[FONT="] - [/FONT][FONT="]Best Buy Canada will be introducing a Black Friday price guarantee this year. Starting Nov. 8, Best Buy will be offering special deals flagged as “Black Friday Price Now” – those products will be the same price for Black Friday. They’ll also be introducing more Black Friday deals every week leading up to the day of.[/FONT]
    I had considered waiting but I don't know if I can stomach using this old brick for another few weeks. Multiple times per day I am ready to Hulk Smash it as it struggles along to perform the most basic of tasks. It is quite old and is Windows 7 which will no longer be supported in short order. Not sure if those I'd be interested in would have a substantial savings offered on Black Friday.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community