Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  82
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry relieved of duties at Sportsnet/HNIC

Don Cherry relieved of duties at Sportsnet/HNIC

Thoughts?

I don't understand what the big fuss is about, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I'll miss him.

Off my meds again
    He was 100% right, and Sportsnet can fuck themselves.

For me comes down to, if you don't like what he has to day.....................change the channel. Keep in mind, I am in no way shape or form a Don Cherry fan.
    Simple.

so black face, stuffed crotch and singing Day-o equals not racist,

saying people should be thankfull for those that lost their lives for our freedoms and the least they can do is buy a poppy equals racist

I hate people.

waiting for the actual numbers of those that complained. didn't last time they got "inundated" with complaints on something it was like 10 people

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    so black face, stuffed crotch and singing Day-o equals not racist,

saying people should be thankfull for those that lost their lives for our freedoms and the least they can do is buy a poppy equals racist

I hate people.

waiting for the actual numbers of those that complained. didn't last time they got "inundated" with complaints on something it was like 10 people

I have nothing else to add to this perfect statement

maybe not perfect. there has to be a spelling mistake in there somewhere. lol

It's a shame, but unfortunately nowadays you can't voice your opinion when your time is being paid for by someone else.

-Usawit2

pwrab
    What Don Cherry says, has no affect on my life. However, what a leader of a country or province does and says can affect us all.
    I am a person of colour, although born here....however, I know and have plenty of 80+ yr old white guys in my family. A lot of them think like Cherry, but are not racist per se.

Yes, another topic, but I am WAY more offended by a PM that wore blackface, than an old guy complaining about a lack (perceived or real) of poppy wearing ‘immigrants’......and yet, said PM got voted back in, and Cherry gets fired.
    A corporate entity seems to have more of an issue in the regards of racism than the ppl that voted for a
    PM....

Just my 2 cents.....

Mustang Occasionally
    "You know, I was talking to a veteran, and I said, I'm not going to run the (annual Remembrance Day montage) anymore, because what's the sense? I live in Mississauga, nobody wears, very few people wear a poppy," said Cherry in his rapid-fire, sentence fragment-generating way. "Downtown Toronto, forget it, downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy. And I'm not going to, and he says, wait a minute. How about running it for the people that buy them?

Now you go to the small cities and you know, the rows on rows, you people love — that come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price. Anyhow, I'm going to run it for you great people and good Canadians that bought a poppy."

-----

I think this is the sentence that did it. I'm not saying he should have been terminated, but I can see how a lot of people who do wear a poppy and that do live in those 'row on row' houses he was talking about, probably didn't appreciate his comments.

Why not just say, "Hey, everyone... Wear a poppy. It's important!"

Cherry's response to being terminated today: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

Now, had he just said that, he still be employed.

Oh well.