Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  82
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry relieved of duties at Sportsnet/HNIC

Yep, good old Grapes....not what you call a tactful kind of guy. Never has been. Just comes out and says what's on his mind. He definitely didn't help himself, and unfortunately, given the state of our country, i.e. watch out what you say....you might offend someone, he's finally met his waterloo. At 85, it might be a good time to move on anyways. All I can say is he must have really loved his job to be still working @ 85. I wonder if anyone will come knocking at his door again?

It's too bad because I think he genuinely cares about our veterans and Canada.

No question there will be a TON of talk on social media over this for a bit.

Maybe time to retire anyways , enjoyed him in his younger years . Unfortunate , no filter but that’s Don

when I first heard the issue I went and listened to what he said.
    no body wears poppies, when you go to the small cities. the rows on rows. you people that come here could at least buy a poppy.

translate to a normal person. "when you people who come to the small cities, the least you could do is but a poppy."

nowhere did I assume for a second he was talking about immigrants. if he said when you come to this country, you people.... then sure I could see the issue. but how does it get turned into a race thing when he talks about people in cities should be wearing a poppy.? do only immigrants come to the cities? do only immigrants live in the suburbs? do only immigrants not wear poppies?

sorry but if you are offended by this your looking for a reason to be offended.
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 11-11-2019 at 10:10 PM.

^Sadly many people are looking for a reason to be offended.............mostly just liberals and millennials though. The issue I have is they’re only offended by select people, when approved people say or do something offensive it’s dismissed and swept under the rug.

Club Supporter
    He's said dumber things in the past so this was likely low on the "fireable" scale for him but my guess is they wanted him gone and was looking for something to underline it (with cause) even if somewhat weak. He's not relevant any more so should have moved on already, maybe on better/his own terms. As Armen said, it was a good opportunity to relay an educational message of the sacrifice being commemorated with the symbolic poppy versus the angle taken. Anyone go through the citizenship process recently? Is this covered anywhere in the study materials?

That said, I was observing people in Bolton and the only ones wearing poppies appeared to be age 50 and over, so it appears multi-generational Canadians have not been passing on the story/message. That and cashless society means people don't have cash to buy these things while out and about....always thought they should have Square readers (not necessarily the older guys but the Cadets, etc) as the world evolves and the average ticket size (donation) would have moved up too with electronic payments.

another reason why I don't get how this turned into a racial thing. way too many people of all walks ignore the poppy. I get one every year, and even after getting one still drop my change in the boxes, gave the local Tims crap when they removed the box a week ago. also took my empties in and gave the cash to the vet standing there.

more people need to make an effort.

I don't have a horse in the race, but I'm amazed how much attention it's getting.

I think he's only actually gone because he won't apologize. I think what's not realized is he would not be apologizing for what he said, he would be apologizing for offending people. That's different to me.

I think if he apologized, he might have made it but it's kind of sad because I can see both sides of the argument very closely.

and yes, it's pretty silly that he gets toasted for that but not Justin Trudeau for black face and not Trump for just about anything he says. lol.

Edit.....I wear a poppy every year without fail. Both my grandfather's served.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

Easy for the twitter universe to pile on a guy like Don Cherry, but forgive a guy like Trudeau who says our vets are asking for too much https://globalnews.ca/news/4010965/r...rans-pensions/
    Feds would sooner spend millions on lawyers fees than give it to the veterans.
    Ron Maclean's apology was basically the company script. If not for Don going to the wall with the brass of Sportsnet, Ron would have been off Coach's Corner and who knows where. I think Ron has thrown Don under the bus on this, and respectfully should resign.

Cherry didn't single out any ethnic minorities groups, just stating what he has witnessed...remember all the good deeds he's done over the years and this gets him fired.....Sportnet has no Balls to stand up and bow down to what they believe is the right political thing to do here.

Ron was told to apologise or find yourself joining Don....another follower not a leader....we have become to a nation that can't say anything and we my offend others....FCUK grow some tough skin......soon if not already if you say MERRY CHRISTMAS you will offend some one...now it's Happy holidays......really...……..FCUKEN leave if you don't like it.....
    2003 Azure Mach 1.....with some bolt on's.....
    2003 Marauder.....with some bolt on's....
    2011 GT500......with some bolt on's.......
    82 GT, Coyote, build in play.......

I've never really cared for Don Cherry, and his restaurants aren't wonderful, but he's a national figure and entitled to his opinion (in this case correct). To be fired for that is ridiculous.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert