Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  82
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry relieved of duties at Sportsnet/HNIC

Not once did he mention which group of people he was referring to. Lots of immigrants come from lots of places. They are not all visible minorities. My wife's family are all immigrants. They came from Germany. They are all white and catholic. When they came here they all learned to speak english and all found jobs. So the people offended are 100% looking for something to get offended about. B.S. I always say Merry Christmas. Doesn't matter what they say to me.

DH summarized my feelings pretty much. If he would have come out and apologized or said something to the extent of "I'm sorry if I offended people but my comments we're not meant to be directed at any one group.... I feel very strongly that veterans should be recognized... " that may have been enough to keep him.

More than likely higher ups have wanted him gone for a while because I'm sure with a wildcard like Grapes there's always a risk someone with the ad dollars will be offended. Digging his feet in on this one gave them the ammo they needed to make the final push. TBH I used to watch Coaches Corner all the time growing up, can't recall the last time I tuned in and talking with my group of friends that sentiment is pretty shared. Like a lot of things this is probably a business move wrapped up in public interest blanket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

If he is 85 and "wants" to work - great for him. Lot better then sitting on his ass and looking out the window watching the grass grow or at the traffic.
    He is a life-time hockey coach.
    He will come back in a year somewhere in the sports line up.
    Mayor of Mississauga worked into her senior years even with some mud thrown at her about her son's dealings. Left with hugs and kisses.
    Hope people in sports world give the network some backlash, by boycotting it. Rating and ads are there be all not hurt feelings of some groups.
    May be even bring him back to the Sportnet in a little while.

I don't think it was a fire-able offence, but agree that they have probably been looking for a way to get him out for a while.
    I tuned him out years ago though, has just been the same old stuff with grapes for so long, nothing new to say
    good ol Canadian boys are the only ones who can win, mispronouncing people's names, these people are soft and you can't build a winner with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    why apologize. It's never good enough.
    So if anyone ever makes a mistake, just don't acknowledge and move on? I didn't say grovel at the feet of the offended and beg mercifully for forgiveness.

But you know, probably not unreasonable to say "Hey, I got heated talking about my love for our veterans. I recognize there are thousands of hard-working immigrant families in this nation who salute the flag and honour veterans. My comments were not directed at them, and if I made them feel unwelcome or implied they are ungrateful for the sacrifices made by our armed forces that was not my intention and I am sorry. I do stand by my beliefs that all Canadians
    regardless of background should wear the poppy and observe remembrance for those who made the ultimate sacrifice."

You're right though, that would be too snowflake right? Paint everyone with wide brushes and fuck em if they don't like it.

Yes, that. If you lump every single person in a box you're bound to upset those that don't fit in that box.

To me it's ZERO difference between the uproar everyone has when someone says Males are all Topically Masculine, all Conservatives hate the environments, all Mustang owners crash in to crowds. I mean there have been literally dozens of posts on here exclaiming "How dare these people label me as such, there are exceptions to rule!!!" but when someone does the same but you agree with the blanket statement it's fine because they just can't handle criticism or they're reaching with their feelings of offense.

Foxstang
    Everyone is a bad driver but me...

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    DH summarized my feelings pretty much. If he would have come out and apologized or said something to the extent of "I'm sorry if I offended people but my comments we're not meant to be directed at any one group.... I feel very strongly that veterans should be recognized... " that may have been enough to keep him.

More than likely higher ups have wanted him gone for a while because I'm sure with a wildcard like Grapes there's always a risk someone with the ad dollars will be offended. Digging his feet in on this one gave them the ammo they needed to make the final push. TBH I used to watch Coaches Corner all the time growing up, can't recall the last time I tuned in and talking with my group of friends that sentiment is pretty shared. Like a lot of things this is probably a business move wrapped up in public interest blanket.
    This is pretty much how JT operates - doesn't apologize for what he says but that people got offended. This might have worked but it was ultimately a business decision I think because the segment is out-dated in a world of cord-cutters, etc.

Don meant what he said, and he was right to say it, it’s completely true. If some people took it the wrong way because they WANT to be offended and make a big deal, that’s their problem-not his. He should not apologize and good for him for standing his ground.....on our local news radio station today they said that of all the people surveyed $85% say he should not have been fired for that. Shame on you SportsNet, grow a backbone.

Don did an interview today on Rebel News.

https://www.rebelnews.com/don_cherry...ed_news_canada