Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Rowe Says Death of Shop Class Is Why Country Has $1.6 Trillion in Student Debt

Mike Rowe Says Death of Shop Class Is Why Country Has $1.6 Trillion in Student Debt

“Dirty Jobs” host Mike Rowe said in a Thursday interview that the death of shop class is to blame for the country’s $1.6 trillion in student loan debt.

Rowe joined Stuart Varney on Fox Business to discuss his new book, The Way I Heard It, and was asked why there are “seven million unfilled jobs in our country.”

Full story here:

https://tennesseestar.com/2019/11/08...-student-debt/
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community

I remember when I was in high school.

You had to go to university or collage. If you didn’t there was no support. I wasn’t always a strong student in things like English and math. (No surprise there eh. Lol) but excelled in the hands on stuff in shop. But you had to pick one shop.

Once it was decided that collage or university wasn’t for me The guidance counsellors no longer needed to see me about stuff. There was no assistance to line up possible apprenticeships. I did the only coop available at the time for something related to a trade which was at the local Canadian tire. I was suppose to be helping the mechanics and almost failed because I was told the manager was in charge and he had me spend the entire coop assembling bikes and bbqs, however the head mechanic Was the one giving the mark and he gave me a poor participation mark. Because I was never helping him.

The system is broken.

If it weren’t for shop class, I wouldn’t have have a pool table.

Lots of good skills learned in shop class.
    -Don____________

My son ( born 1989) may have been one of the last students to benefit from a unique shop program White Oaks High School in Oakville had.
    It was sponsored/partnered with Ford. It was called FAMS ( Ford Academy of manufacturing sciences). There were a number of mentors from Ford, that guided and helped the students with job shadowing, and some kids got some time at the plant seeing the various trades, engineering etc.
    This was what lead him into mechanical engineering.
    His shop teachers were very forward thinking on this, but unfortunately the last year he was in it (2008), the economy dropped and Ford with drew from this, I think they didn't have the staff resources to commit the hours to this, which was a huge loss.

Shop class was in danger of disappearing when I was in high school. Our school was geared towards university prep, almost all advanced classes. Shop class was a general level credit. Not much interest. As a last ditch effort, they made it an advanced course by converting it to an advanced credit. You made a plan, and presented your project plan to the teacher, then made it. Instead of identical spice racks, our new advanced class turned out a pair of electric guitars, a canoe, and... a pool table.

Don’t know what happened to shop class after I graduated.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    If it weren’t for shop class, I wouldn’t have have a pool table.

Lots of good skills learned in shop class.
    nice - I got a 10 pound sledge to get those cabinets in the background pout of the way....no charge
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Shop class was in danger of disappearing when I was in high school. Our school was geared towards university prep, almost all advanced classes. Shop class was a general level credit. Not much interest. As a last ditch effort, they made it an advanced course by converting it to an advanced credit. You made a plan, and presented your project plan to the teacher, then made it. Instead of identical spice racks, our new advanced class turned out a pair of electric guitars, a canoe, and... a pool table.

Don’t know what happened to shop class after I graduated.
    several things when I was young - I really wish there was co-op when I was a kid in school often voiced it and couldn't understand why I had to study shit I had no interest in - had no idea what co op was at the time but thought there must be a better way - we had shop class - was tough to get into cause all the kids who really didn't give a shit just took it for an easy credit and there was never room - when I was young I so desperately wanted to be a mechanic, it was almost impossible to get a job as an apprentice. I ended up in the graphic arts and design field (my second choice) and another story - wasn't until I was around 30 years old when I got an apprentice job as a mechanic and now they will hire anyone with a wrench in their hands. I can fully understand why people in general don't want to work regardless of what field - at the end of the day in my opinion it really makes no sense to work for anyone, and as much as everyone gripes about millennials I think they're on the correct path to correct the bullshit myself and my peers have been subject by the man...

Thats an awesome job on the table Don...!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Off my meds again
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    if shop class was run today it would be a minefield of "inclusivity" followed by a "me too" accusation
    Yep. These PC thugs are deserve a case of lead poisoning.

I went back to my Auto Shop class last year and the shop teacher advised he has full classes still. However I asked him if any students seemed to want to take up the trade and he advised maybe one or 2 out of all of his students. I feel they take it for a easy credit and move on. I would speak at High School class for a friend of mine and most kids were on their phones while I spoke and out of the 45 students that were in the room one came forward to me at the end that showed some interest.

All I can say is that SHOP Classes saved my son, who hated school because it was all about the University prep. I found him a great high school in Aurora (Dr GW Williams), which had a very large shop department. along with a CO-OP administrator who believed every kid had the skills to do any trade job. So much so that he would stand up for any kid who wanted to do full co-op in a trade. He had so many connections in trades that kids who went to these trades succeeded. Some kids hated sitting in a class due to ADHD, learning disabilities etc.... my son being one of them. After trying different CO-OPs, my son gravitated to Plumbing. Today he is a 5th year apprentice doing very well.

Like his CO-OP administrator would always remind teachers, these kids will succeed in the trades and make more money than you. Sadly this CO-op teacher retired and the program has never been the same, as my son kept in touch with his CO-OP admin over the years.

Shop classes are very important and is the basis for next generation of trades.