Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used car with an accident claim

Buying a used car with an accident claim

Time to get my daughter a new to her car.

We're looking at 2012 -2015

I'm amazed how many cars have accident claim history on them.

What do you think about buying a car with an accident claim?

Stay clear period?
    Stay clear over a certain claim value (how much)?
    Don't worry about claims if the car looks to be fixed properly?

Personal preference. I've owned vehicles after accidents that were repaired properly and never had issues. I know others that claim the vehicle was "never right" after the hit.

For me I'd have no issue buying a car with accident history if:

- I'm buying from the owner directly and they have pictures/documentation on the accident so I can gauge the severity of the damage myself
    - I know the body shop the vehicle was repaired at and have an idea of the quality of their repair work
    - The vehicle is sufficiently discounted from a clean title item enough so that I know I have a cushion for potential repairs resulting from the accident, and so I'm not upside down in it immediately.
    - Vehicle drives right to me

I'd personally walk away from anything with accident damage if:
    - It's at a dealer that has no records/information of the accident
    - Seller tries to hide the fact vehicle was in an accident
    - I can see on the carfax that the vehicle was sold shortly after the repairs were made, possibly indicating that it's been a headache since or repaired subpar
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

My 300 was hit in August...$6000 + repair and drives as good as pre-accident. Depends on damage done.JMO

As long as done proper you’ll be fine. Keep in mind as well claims don’t always tell you what. Was it a collision or hail. Did someone pop the door lock or smack a window and steal stuff.

All just usually go in as “insurance claim”

I use the steering wheel for judgement - if it sits in the correct position and drives straight likely ok - purchased my daughter a car the claim was 6000 looking at the car it appeared to be all cosmetic (mind you the paint work had many short cuts and although it looked good at the start paint began to peel in the repaired areas) - car runs good and she still has it 3yrs now - one word of caution some lenders wont lend if the claim exceeded x amount... but yes really hard to find a used car with out a claim - especially the smaller used car dealers - best of luck!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

See if you can find out who did the repair. Some of the large repair shops have “lifetime warrenty” for work. Might not transfer owners but might be worth looking into if concerned about quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    As long as done proper you’ll be fine. Keep in mind as well claims don’t always tell you what. Was it a collision or hail. Did someone pop the door lock or smack a window and steal stuff.

All just usually go in as “insurance claim”
    If the police were involved, an accident report should show up at least (I mean if it was indeed a collision) If it was settled without the cops...little harder to track down

We had some accident damage repaired on our '11 van. Side door, rear quarter dent and new tailgate. Nothing structural. The interior,s the rest of the bosy, and all mechanicals were unaffected. The damage was still $8000, which of course was on the carfax. The purchaser freaked and wanted out of the deal, until I reminded him that I had told him all of this before he made his offer. I even showed him before and after pictures. But yes, it was a sales deterrent.
    This kind of damage though is strictly cosmetic and no reason not to buy the vehicle.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

As long as it was fixed properly. Most bumper replacements with cost at least $2k now. My 2010 I bought as a right off but had a clean title. I bought it and fixed it for half of what they where selling for at the time. I have driven the car for 4 years now and have had no issues at all. Actually it’s been one of the best cars I have bought. It’s back in the body shop because I got rear ended. $2k bill to replace the rear bumper.
    So stuff like that I don’t care about. If I’m buying a car for daily and it has an accident history I’m for sure not paying the same money as one that hasn’t because the value of the car is less if I ever have to resell.
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    If the police were involved, an accident report should show up at least (I mean if it was indeed a collision) If it was settled without the cops...little harder to track down
    Sorry didn’t know they were showing accident reports now. Haven’t pulled a car fax in years. Remember it was all just “insurance claim”