Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a used car with an accident claim

Foxstang
    These days 10 grand of damage is basically a broken headlight lol...

Thanks all

Kind of where my head was. I don't Know how much detail is on the carfax report. Guess I'll find out.

I'll bring my tape measure with me. At the end of the day it's buyer beware.

I spoke to one guy who told me the car had two claims, totalling $27k. He said don't worry it was fixed just like new and he'll toss in a warranty. Lol

Club Supporter
    Also be aware that many cars see a body shop without it showing up on the Carfax report. So, buy a paint thickness gauge for 30 bucks and check all metal panels. Accept that most used cars will have either or both bumper covers resprayed. Check panel fit and gaps. Under the hood, look for missing fasteners i.e. the plastic push type. Obviously look closely for sandpaper scratches, orange peel, fish eyes. overspray, etc... you should be able to see clear reflection in the paint. if it's fuzzy, that panel was painted.
    If you plan on keeping the car long term then an accident repair of uhder $10,000 should be fine. As was mentioned, at time of resale, many buyers will pass on a Carfax vehicle.
    You are looking at fairly new so hopefully a virgin car will come along. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ger View Post
    Check panel fit and gaps.
    yeah, if everything looks good...that means it was repaired... cause panel fit and gaps are horrible from the factory LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I use the steering wheel for judgement - if it sits in the correct position and drives straight likely ok - purchased my daughter a car the claim was 6000 looking at the car it appeared to be all cosmetic (mind you the paint work had many short cuts and although it looked good at the start paint began to peel in the repaired areas) - car runs good and she still has it 3yrs now - one word of caution some lenders wont lend if the claim exceeded x amount... but yes really hard to find a used car with out a claim - especially the smaller used car dealers - best of luck!
    No offence, but steering wheel means little to nothing to determine the quality of a car. I could make a car go dead straight if it was a Mustang with a Camaro rear half welded on, it’s not that hard, lol. On the other hand a light hit on a curb can throw the wheel off center.

As stated it depends on the hit, and the body shop, some hits are no big deal, others are a walk away situation.

Yes all too common to find a used vehicle thats had prior damage. Key to not getting burned, confirm repair has been done properly and if your not able to yourself, have a pro look it over first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    No offence, but steering wheel means little to nothing to determine the quality of a car. I could make a car go dead straight if it was a Mustang with a Camaro rear half welded on, it’s not that hard, lol. On the other hand a light hit on a curb can throw the wheel off center.

As stated it depends on the hit, and the body shop, some hits are no big deal, others are a walk away situation.
    none taken - salvage vehicles and frame straighteners is a whole other license from a typical body shop - the car could be dead straight but the steering wheel could be a little off, a good indication of the type of damage and after some use other neglected or missed problems will likely rear their ugly heads....if the front half of your mustang camaro concoction never had front end damage then no steering wheel issues will be present at first glance....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

I'd shy away from buying a previous accident history car because its such a PITA when it comes time to try and sell it....for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    none taken - salvage vehicles and frame straighteners is a whole other license from a typical body shop - the car could be dead straight but the steering wheel could be a little off, a good indication of the type of damage and after some use other neglected or missed problems will likely rear their ugly heads....if the front half of your mustang camaro concoction never had front end damage then no steering wheel issues will be present at first glance....
    Well, that’s very far from accurate actually, cars that steer from the rear will throw the wheel off center big time, which is why a 4 wheel alignment is industry standard

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Well, that’s very far from accurate actually, cars that steer from the rear will throw the wheel off center big time, which is why a 4 wheel alignment is industry standard
    you'll have to forgive me and it could very well be the blonde roots beneath all my grey - but I don't think we are on the same page...?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works