Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veloster vs Mazda 3

Veloster vs Mazda 3

I've been looking for a used car for my daughter. She wants a sporty hatch back.

She really likes the Veloster 2012-2013 and as she is her father's daughter, she loving the turbo version but would settle for a non-turbo for the right price and car. The NA cars are a bit of a slouch but she drives stick so at least it'll give the illusion of speed. The turbos are 200hp in a little car but still don't have much torque. They do come with great content for the money.

Our extended family has had good luck with Hyundai products. Mostly Elantras and Sonotas.
    Are the Velosters any good?

The other contender is a Mazda 3 Sport hatchback in the 2011- 2013 range. Other than rust issues on earlier models I've never heard anything bad about a Mazda 3.

Thoughts?

probably cant go wrong with either. if its been cared for.

same as you said. only thing I've really heard about the Veloster is under powered but I think I would take that over the Mazda they were HORABLE for rust, unless undercoated.

I know its not in the list but if the budget allows a 2015+ mini is a sweet car. absolutely loving ours. and some we looked at still had factory warranty. but I imagine its a bit more than the other two are for price wise.

Thanks, we looked at a 2012 Mini. She wasn't loving it as much as I expected and I'm not sure that generation was super reliable.

I thought it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    ...Mazda they were HORABLE for rust, unless undercoated.

I know its not in the list but if the budget allows a 2015+ mini is a sweet car. absolutely loving ours...
    Was going to say that. Every Mazda 3 I have seen has rusted out fenders.

Mini Cooper (2014) has been good for us, but I’m still not sure I would recommend a used one. Although we have only had one mechanical issue (under warranty), any repairs are going to be killer. Fun little go-cart tho.
    -Don____________

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    As others have said rust was a concern of mine with Mazda3, fast forward to 2019 our 2010 Mazda 3 hasn’t rusted at all ( did do the rust check thing) and has been Uber reliable, apart from brake pads, tires, oil changes nothing major. I believe it’s still on the same spark plugs- this summer I’ll replace them.
    I will say the 2.0 L we have is thirsty for my taste but sky active wasn’t yet available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Was going to say that. Every Mazda 3 I have seen has rusted out fenders.

Mini Cooper (2014) has been good for us, but I’m still not sure I would recommend a used one. Although we have only had one mechanical issue (under warranty), any repairs are going to be killer. Fun little go-cart tho.
    yeah we looked at a 14 and a 12 but everything I read said go for the 15 plus. that's when they were fully built by BMW. we are a year In on our 16 and not an issue other than regretting id dint have the time to wait and the budget for the 2020 JCW. 306hp!

sorry no more hyjack I promise

How about a Red Mach 1?

It's stick!!

And she won't be able to sneak out late at night and you'll know what time she came home...

lol

I think I would go for the Mazda 3

is the sport edition the only one that comes in stick? Is that the one that's called the Mazda Speed3? I've heard they are pretty quick!!

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Veloster vs Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    I think I would go for the Mazda 3

is the sport edition the only one that comes in stick? Is that the one that's called the Mazda Speed3? I've heard they are pretty quick!!
    They don’t make those anymore (2013)
    I almost bought one of those instead of slo turd

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Quote Originally Posted by newbiestangowner View Post
    They don’t make those anymore (2013)
    I almost bought one of those instead of slo turd

I think that's the year he's looking at though...