Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regaining health with small changes

regaining health with small changes

This is primarily for older people like me(I'm 69 years old), although this could apply to anyone. Some simple changes have improved my health significantly.

Medically, I'm at at least 50 pounds overweight, diabetic, with high blood pressure, a nervous bladder and an enlarged prostate. My whole life, I've rarely slept more than 5 hours a night, and for the last 20 years or more, I never sleep more than an hour and a half or so at a time(this is common with prostate problems). For the last few years in particular, I get up every 1 1/2-2 hours to pee, which takes a few minutes as it's hard to empty the bladder (another common prostate symptom).
    recently, my endocrinologist(diabetic doctor), noticed some abnormalities in my bloodwork, so I was referred to a phrenologist(kidney doc). There, I was told I have 34% kidney function. Again, relatively common with older people especially overweight men.
    I was told that if i continue on this path, within 5 years I'll be on dialysis. Oh oh!!

common treatment is actually pretty simple. Lose weight(I've pretended to be on a diet for the last 3 years, getting down from 270 to 250-ish, where I seem to hover, unable to break into the 240's). Stop eating bananas(!!they have too much phosphorus), cut back on meat(I don't have to completely stop, thank goodness: I do so enjoy my steaks and ribs), do some exercise(really? Do I have to?), and other such common sense stuff.
    The biggest change is so simple though.
    I stopped having caffeinated cola drinks. First I started buying decaff cola. Within days I was sleeping 2 1/2 to 3 hours at a stretch. Instead of getting up 4 times a night it was two. Then, once I saw the phrenologist, I stopped having cola altogether and began drinking ginger ale, sprite, and such (always sugar free, of course), as well as more water. Now I'm sleeping 3-4 hours at a time. I'm feeling better, my weight is starting back down,(I saw 248 on the scale this morning) and I'm more energetic. I'm still one of those people who never sleeps more than 6 hours, though.

My current goal is to get to 220. Apparently all this will not necessarily improve my kidney functions, but taking these steps will arrest the decline. There are no symptoms to this condition until you reach 10% function, at which time dialysis is required.
    Apparently if I look after myself, I could live to be 120(120 is the new 100)!!

Thoughts and comments are welcome. I tell you all this because I'm sure some of you will go through this, (or something similar) and it's quite amazing how little things make such a difference.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Don't drink any pop of any kind. Club Soda if you want some bubbles but even then it has salt. The aspartame in diet cola is the worst possible thing. Drink Water. Freeze plastic bottles and let them melt over the course of the day.

I still drink beer on weekends, but cutting out pop has meant a lot of difference. Also portion control.

Steve, there is a new Lifestyle diabetic sensor https://www.freestyle.abbott/ca/en/products/libre.html

that you wear on your arm for two weeks at a time, then can read anytime anywhere with the monitor. You will see that if you just measure and watch for a few weeks, you will be able to tell which foods have the worst effect on you. You can also be in the right place before your blood work.

It's pretty new technology and most insurance plans cover it. It's a game changer.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

my mom uses those sensors.

she says they are better than the finger stabs. but they are prone to falling/ being pulled off. and it hurts when she bumps it into things.

she has resorted to using a big bandaid to keep them in.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    my mom uses those sensors.

she says they are better than the finger stabs. but they are prone to falling/ being pulled off. and it hurts when she bumps it into things.

she has resorted to using a big bandaid to keep them in.
    you have to let them cure for an hour before you start getting them wet etc. Normally you can shower with them, do anything they should be staying on. Maybe a bad batch? Also, you have to place it properly so it doesn't move on you when you're sleeping. they are pretty trouble free from what I've seen.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

Diet is key to health. If you have a Lambo in the garage but you put 87 octane in it, it's going to under perform or fail.

Added/artificial sugar does nothing good for you except make you want more of the shit. White breads/flour the same. Everything i make is no sugar added, tapioca starch or almond flour, and quinoa over white rice. Same with the cooking oils. Canola/Veggie oil is out for supremely reduced quantities of high quality Olive Oil. The bread I do have it mostly sprouted grains or ezekiel. Same for dairy. I spent most of my adult life believing nothing could taste good without cheese. Now I have zero dairy in my diet, and I find the stuff I make to exponentially greater flavour. I was/am a fast food addict. I once called my father to tell him how overjoyed I was the double down was coming. Could easily make 3 trips plus through the drive through a week. It took me about a month of not having it to realize the effect it had on my body and mind.

The good thing about health is that as much as it can be a snowball effect in the wrong direct the same seems to go when you start to take it seriously. I was doing literally everything wrong. Pop, chips, fast food, candy, loads of dairy, portion size was never even a thought in my head. I was attempting to kill myself with food because it tasted good and that made me feel good. Eventually and through the help of a good friend I started to take shit more seriously. Made the changes to the diet, notice a change. Start walking as opposed to driving, notice a change. Eventually work up the never to start training, REALLY start to notice a change. Went from 210lbs at the start of the year to now 165lbs and weight is only part of the results really.

Small steps make a difference. Next time you go "I'll have a pop" sub it with water. Maybe it leads to grabbing a regular vs the Double Double. Maybe that leads to not tossing a couple slices of cheese on the burger at dinner. Maybe that leads to some added energy in the evening and you decide to take a nice walk.

I used to think being healthy meant full on deprivation and punishment. When it's really more observation and knowledge. If anything thinks they're too far gone or it's too hard to start improving, make a little change first then build from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

DH avoid freezing water bottles , not good from what I read .

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    you have to let them cure for an hour before you start getting them wet etc. Normally you can shower with them, do anything they should be staying on. Maybe a bad batch? Also, you have to place it properly so it doesn't move on you when you're sleeping. they are pretty trouble free from what I've seen.
    shes been using them for a couple years. dosnt have issues all the time. she says she likes them better than having to jab herself every time to check her self

Exercise is more important than you may think - doesn't mean joining a gym can be as simple as walking a quick pace or a bike ride 20 minutes twice a day - no soft drinks are good soft drinks even energy drinks like Gatorade stay away from any soft drinks, there no good - water is the best thing you can drink and plenty of it always have a bottle with you and take regular drinks during the day, just little sips throughout the day(I fill a glass bottle and drink it daily - about one litre) - cut out coffee and soft drinks and any booze and you will see a quick weight reduction - best of luck it will take a lot of discipline - simple diet changes can make you feel much better (smaller portions) and plenty of water will keep all your functions working - do all this and within three months you will see big improvements.

stay out of the "what are you drinking" thread....lol I've gained about ten pounds there over the last few months...lol best of luck!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    Don't drink any pop of any kind. Club Soda if you want some bubbles but even then it has salt. The aspartame in diet cola is the worst possible thing. Drink Water. Freeze plastic bottles and let them melt over the course of the day.

I still drink beer on weekends, but cutting out pop has meant a lot of difference. Also portion control.

Steve, there is a new Lifestyle diabetic sensor https://www.freestyle.abbott/ca/en/products/libre.html

that you wear on your arm for two weeks at a time, then can read anytime anywhere with the monitor. You will see that if you just measure and watch for a few weeks, you will be able to tell which foods have the worst effect on you. You can also be in the right place before your blood work.

It's pretty new technology and most insurance plans cover it. It's a game changer.
    Thanks Corey. As a matter of fact I just got one of these new meters. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    As far as soda pop goes, yes, you are right. I've cut back probably 50%. I have also been drinking a lot of tea, but I have halved my sweetener intake.
    Since I started on this doctor-supervised diet, (Dr. Nelson Daniels: he was recommended to me by Kevin Wetherdon, who lost 90 pounds), I have stopped almost completely with fast foods, bread, candy, and other such junk. Maybe once a week, I'll indulge, but most of the time now I eat portion controlled meals.
    Oddly, I've been doing this for almost 3 years, but only lost 20 pounds. On the other hand, If I hadn't been seeing the good doctor I'd probably be well over 300 pounds by now. makes a difference in those 0-60 times, for sure.
    By the way. I don't drink alcohol at all, not even beer. No moral thing against it; it just never really did anything for me.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    …stay out of the "what are you drinking" thread....lol
    -Don____________