Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio and Subs

I hate it when people ask for advice, and then do the exact opposite anyway, but this is an exercise of using surplus materials and installing a system on the cheap and cleaning off parts on the shelf. So I built the box out of 3/4” plywood left over from the basement reno. Glued, screwed, and biscuited, then all the internal seams sealed. Hopefully it sounds okay and holds together.

Next up: sanding and cleaning up my rough carpentry, and then adhering some automotive carpet to it. Then onto the wiring component of this project.

-Don____________

Since we’re on the subject, I wanted to switch my stock headunit with a Bluetooth one. If I do this will I lose the power of my speakers ? The stock system is really loud and I want to keep it that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

LOL! For this size of enclosure you should be OK. You may want to throw in some polyester fiberfill just to kill some standing waves. The other consideration is to consider a new amp as they are a lot more efficient and much more compact. (It's just something to consider not a must )

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I hate it when people ask for advice, and then do the exact opposite anyway, but this is an exercise of using surplus materials and installing a system on the cheap and cleaning off parts on the shelf. So I built the box out of 3/4” plywood left over from the basement reno. Glued, screwed, and biscuited, then all the internal seams sealed. Hopefully it sounds okay and holds together.

Next up: sanding and cleaning up my rough carpentry, and then adhering some automotive carpet to it. Then onto the wiring component of this project.

You just need to buy a headunit that has a built in amplifier assuming that your existing headunit has built in power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zutz2v View Post
    Since we’re on the subject, I wanted to switch my stock headunit with a Bluetooth one. If I do this will I lose the power of my speakers ? The stock system is really loud and I want to keep it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    The other consideration is to consider a new amp as they are a lot more efficient and much more compact. (It's just something to consider not a must )
    The whole point of this exercise is to get rid of stuff, not buy more stuff. I don’t even need a sub in my truck! LOL

So far I have cleared out:
    • A pair of 6x9 speakers
    • A 10” sub speaker
    • Some plywood scraps
    • A handful of screws
    • Half a tube of silicone
    • An old amplifier
    • some speaker wire

Carpet is going to be the one and only purchase for this project. And even that I contemplated just using some old paint I have lying around.

It’s more of just a low budget learning experience. Maybe my next audio project will include a new amp.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    You just need to buy a headunit that has a built in amplifier assuming that your existing headunit has built in power.
    It’s the stock head that came with the 03 GT

I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Carpet is going to be the one and only purchase for this project. And even that I contemplated just using some old paint I have lying around.
    Why not? Profile the edges, skim coat with bondo or drywall mud, sand and paint.

I made this enclosure for a buddy about 15 years ago, no carpet.

I had this setup in my Dakota, built around early 2000.

Oz Subs! I have an entire set sitting here at home. Beautiful sound from them. I knew the designer of those speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Why not? Profile the edges, skim coat with bondo or drywall mud, sand and paint.

I made this enclosure for a buddy about 15 years ago, no carpet.

I had this setup in my Dakota, built around early 2000.

Those subs were fantastic. Had them with me for 17 years in 3 vehicles and 4 different enclosures, sadly they went with the Dakota when I sold it in 2012.

SlipperyVic
    The whole point of this exercise is to get rid of stuff, not buy more stuff. I don’t even need a sub in my truck! LOL

So far I have cleared out:
    • A pair of 6x9 speakers
    • A 10” sub speaker
    • Some plywood scraps
    • A handful of screws
    • Half a tube of silicone
    • An old amplifier
    • some speaker wire

It’s more of just a low budget learning experience. Maybe my next audio project will include a new amp.
    I've got a roll of carpet from my horde I'd be willing to donate to the cause. I actually 2 rolls leftover and just can't throw them away.