Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFI heat soak - how to tell if thats my issue?

TFI heat soak - how to tell if thats my issue?

So, I may have the the TFI heat soak issue, not entirely sure yet. But after my mustang (1990GT) heats up.. it'll just shut itself off mid driving, once when i was hitting the on ramp to the 401..! After the car cools down for a bit, it'll start right up again. This last time though, I noticed a burned plug wire (cyl.#1) and now its making funny noises from the passenger side valve cover. So the car hasnt moved from the garage since july.

Now Im thinking its the TFI heat soak issue and think Im gonna buy a kit to relocate it somewhere...anyone try this or have had the same issues? I found the FatFoxx kit...pretty pricey, but if it works, may be worth it.

http://fatfoxx.com/products.php

Anyone know of any other kits available?

I can’t say I’ve ever had this issue....my 88GT has the stock distributor still and the TFI let me down once a very long time ago. I replaced it with a motorcraft replacement and no issues since.

If engine stalls the restarts, TFI is pooched, relocating will not bring it back to life but yes may make replacement last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by 90GT View Post
    So, I may have the the TFI heat soak issue, not entirely sure yet. But after my mustang (1990GT) heats up.. it'll just shut itself off mid driving, once when i was hitting the on ramp to the 401..! After the car cools down for a bit, it'll start right up again. This last time though, I noticed a burned plug wire (cyl.#1) and now its making funny noises from the passenger side valve cover. So the car hasnt moved from the garage since july.

Now Im thinking its the TFI heat soak issue and think Im gonna buy a kit to relocate it somewhere...anyone try this or have had the same issues? I found the FatFoxx kit...pretty pricey, but if it works, may be worth it.

http://fatfoxx.com/products.php

Anyone know of any other kits available?
    I had this issue on my old notch, car started randomly stalling, I used the fatfoxx kit and relocated the tfi to the passenger side inner fender, had no issues after that.

Sorry don't know of any other kits available

-Usawit2

We keep a known to be good TFI module for testing purposes only.

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    For reference, a Motorcraft replacement module is still available to order from Ford. Club pricing is around $135 + HST.
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

Never had the issue in the 30 yrs I've had it ,but a good reminder thread...and thanks Ed!

Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    For reference, a Motorcraft replacement module is still available to order from Ford. Club pricing is around $135 + HST.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT View Post
    Hi there,

Is that a genuine motorcraft part? If so, how do I order one?

Thanks,

Benny

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    That will be a Motorcraft part from the Ford warehouse. The part number has changed from the original, so it may be from a different vendor but it would still meet OEM specs of course.

You can send a private message, or call the parts toll free line 844-339-0452 and ask for Ed. We can get one ordered, and ship it to you by Loomis courier for a $10 charge, just need a credit card number and your address. If you're not in a hurry for one we would add it to our weekly stock order.

thanks
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

Same deal for 94-95? Or are the jelly beans SOL?
    -Don____________