Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Alternator Failing?

Alternator Failing?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help as I am concerned my alternator may be failing - again.

I have a 2015 Pathfinder as my dd and I noticed the headlights dimmed a bit when I was straightening the steering wheel. I hadn't noticed this before but a little apprehensive because my alternator failed on me in November of 2018 shutting down my vehicle and stopped dead on the road. Fortunately I was mere meters from my home. At the time I had about 120K and had the alternator replaced with new at a staggering cost. I would rather try to get ahead of this.

All systems seem to be working fine otherwise and the lights don't dim at all other when at idle so this may be totally normal. Battery reads at 14.3v when the truck is running. I also noticed quite bit of 'corrosion' on the positive battery terminal. Internets suggest that the battery is being overcharged.

Help is greatly appreciated. Huge pic of battery terminals below.

The 14.3 volts seems normal to me. I had a battery that had a problem with similar corrosion...it was a loose battery post. I would clean the battery posts and check to see if you have any cracks around the post. I also spray on battery post sealer.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I'd start with cleaning terminal ends, battery posts then scrubbing top of the battery itself clean then monitoring (sludge you see on top is actually acid, don't get it on you or your paint, flush liberally with water n don't splash). While possible overcharging, just as likely a slight acid leak through the post itself. Battery n posts in that kinda condition could lead to premature alt faillure, suggest you get it looked after sooner vs later. Also good idea to trace ground cable to the engine (if possible) to confirm it doesn't need cleaning as well.

Any updates?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

I visited the dealer for an oil change and they said it wasn't out of the ordinary. I still need to get in there and clean off the terminal. My life has revolved around work and finishing my basement for the past 6 months so not much time to do anything else.

That seems like a lot of corrosion for a 5-6 year old battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 83 5.0 View Post
    That seems like a lot of corrosion for a 5-6 year old battery.
    Then how does it grab you that the battery is 14 months old? Is the battery leaking?

You spoke about staggering cost for the alt replacement, leaving battery / connections in that state is sure to see it happen again, sooner vs later.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    Is the battery leaking?
    Probably. You'll know more when you clean the post. On my bad battery, I could move the post side-to-side indicating a cracked casing.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    You spoke about staggering cost for the alt replacement, leaving battery / connections in that state is sure to see it happen again, sooner vs later.
    I better get on the cleaning that battery then.