Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Neil...

Neil...

I can't let this week go by without saying something and I'm goin to stay up late today to say it. I was born in 1962, I know, means shit, I'm nobody to anybody. But if I was born 5 years sooner I may have been friends with Neil Peart. It's probably really hard for someone in this day and age to understand the influence that this man or any artist in Canada from that era, may of had on one person in the '70's. They also walked amongst us and where friends with my friends. These famous and infamous people jelled with everyday life at that time, when art was art and if you couldn't see it, hear it, or feel it, it's not real. My friends would talk of stories when "Rush" Played at high school grads. For many years the band played the New Years Eve concert at Maple Leaf Gardens. There was no internet, no media to speak of - just word of mouth and true unassisted talent, that brought the cream to the top. Rush like one other of my favorite Canadian bands (Max Webster) only came to life thru hard work, word of mouth, and true respect and appreciation from a local fan base. Canadian bands back in those days where very much cult based, as was the Tragically Hip (a modern Canadian example). The rest of the world didn't really understand us, a country of art that represented our open arms to the world. In those days if a recording was purchased it was cherished and hung on to. A recorded form of art was embellished, cherished and put on a pedestal (sort of speak). And I was so close and always admired and was influenced by local artists like Neil. I was many things in my youth - a mechanic, an artist and an athlete. My mom thought there was something wrong with me cause I didn't play with my toys. Instead I took them apart to see how everything worked and then reassembled, sometimes in a different form. I spent most of my life as a child in my room, with art and listened to Rush, mainly focused on the drum beat and the lyrics. On Birthdays and Christmas I asked for water paints, oil paints, and canvas and paper to paint on, and often painted live concert pictures of Rush. Three things influenced my art the most - rock and roll, anything Canadian, and cars. Neil influenced me at a young age to want to express myself in any form. For a child like myself I was influenced greatly by cars, Neil, the band Rush, and Max Webster. I so desired to play music, but my mom who grew up with a family of musicians never wanted to hear me practice and learn to play. I would quietly paint in my room and build model cars. I remember painting pictures of the band Rush in a live settings after they released "All the Worlds a Stage." and may have seen them on late night TV - Don Kershner's Rock Concert. It's so sad - New years just past and I announced to my family my plans for retirement - I had no idea when I said - "I'm going to get a drum kit and I'm going to become "Rush Drummer" Rest in Peace Neil.....!!!!!!!!! You will never be forgotten!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

I attended one of those New Years Eve concerts at Maple Leaf Gardens and If memory serves me correct it was Wireless,Max Webster and Rush (doing 2112)

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD

Hey there Hammerhead, I can relate to what you just posted. I'm only 2 years younger and remember hearing of the local bands like Rush, Max Webster, Triumph, Goddo, Frank Soda, etc. Things were different back then and it's kinda sad how some kids are using the incredible technology of today. I vividly recall listening to Rush albums and noticing how incredible the drummer was...RIP Neil, for sure you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    I attended one of those New Years Eve concerts at Maple Leaf Gardens and If memory serves me correct it was Wireless,Max Webster and Rush (doing 2112)
    that would of been cool. I never made it too a new years with Rush - forgot about wireless as well...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Hey there Hammerhead, I can relate to what you just posted. I'm only 2 years younger and remember hearing of the local bands like Rush, Max Webster, Triumph, Goddo, Frank Soda, etc. Things were different back then and it's kinda sad how some kids are using the incredible technology of today. I vividly recall listening to Rush albums and noticing how incredible the drummer was...RIP Neil, for sure you'll never be forgotten!
    Goddo saw them once at the Gasworks towards the end of their time - Neil was my favorite drummer along with Alex Van Halen (very underrated I think) and Peter Criss from KISS...and Lars from Metallica
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

also have seen Goddo and Frank Soda and the imps!!

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD