Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  75
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Supercharging

one thing that would concern me is the 12:1 compression your engine has - typically boost was reserved for lower compression engines. I'm not an engineer but that would be my main concern - cornering and handling can vary from driver to driver and a set up on a car may be great and work great for one driver and the very same car and setup may not work the same for the next driver - but those cars feel very balanced in the front and the weight could upset corner entry a bit or cause some understeer or oversteer throughout a corner or two, but that can be remedied - but my biggest concern would be the engines compression and maybe want to upgrade the oiling system as well...good to here from you again! I don't think the boost would be much advantage on the road course but would be huge if your motives are to drag race - if its just track days and cruising and its what you want cool...!!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

First id ask myself the reason your supercharging? If your doing it without road coursing or drag racing then its a complete waste as the current laws will find your car impounded quite easily as 50km/hr over is easy to do without a blower....however if you do plan to boost the car being a stick i would opt for a centri setup like Vortech or Paxton....BUT there are a few things that 99% of the local folks dont do which is almost a MUST....that is adding Billet Oil Pump and Crank Gear to the build....this in itself will likely add $2000 CAD to the build for the parts and install cost....most of the engine failures will be 1 of 2 things...a bad tune or loss off the Oil Pump....I wouldnt worry about the 12:1 compression, its all in the tune....i cringe when i hear about some cars tuned locally to over 750-800+ and gobs of boost on 94 Octane....I personally dont exceed about 675 rwhp on 94 octane, i also have a second tune for 100+ octane which generally picks up 75-100 rwhp for track use....remember the weak links of the car will be the transmission, the MT82 is notorious for breaking, the shift fork has been known to break on many 18's and they may have fixed that for the 19 model year.....the clutch is also going to be a weak point, the lockout issue that people talk about is not a trans issue, you canthrow whatever ever shifter at it or support bracket or transmission oil, the issue is the factory clutch....so if your thinking of slamming gears be prepared to break stuff....i suggest a swap to nothing less then a Mcleod RST clutch....I suggest a remote tune session with one of the American tuners like Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno....they pretty much have the coyote game on lock down and will offer lots of track day support.....Vortech V3 JT Trim, ID1050x Injectors, DW400 drop in Pump and a BAP would be a good budget fuel system unless you want to go all out and run a complete return style fuel system.....ive made a touch under 1000 rwhp on stock 19 motor with the OPG and crank sprocket upgrade and a proper fuel system....most of the centri kits will m ake 10psi out of the box that will be good for around 650-700 wheel on 93....here is a video of my turbo auto 2019 on just 13psi running low 9's at Cayuga a couple months ago....

Very cool video and thanks for all the details. Actually, I did do some tracking last summer, but don’t intend to continue. I’m only interested in cruising and also using the car as a daily driver from April until October.

Just do it! Really it's not that much extra weight and if it's a cruiser I doubt you'll even notice any difference in handling.

I like your attitude, Slick! Not that it would really matter to me, but I wonder what it would do to the resale value?

Resale value....well...don't expect to get your modification money back. But if no shortcuts are taken and the car is built well it will help.

Dilbert you already have an amazing performance package right from the factory. The PP2 is the closest you can get to a GT350 without buying one. I have a 17 performance pack GT that I occasionally road course and summer street drive.

I have also driven a supercharged 17 Gt on a road course and I can tell you that I personally prefer driving mine as it is much more balanced. Personally I would just add a tune and a couple of other light mods and call it a day.

Then save your money for other fun things like a nice winter vacation somewhere warm to get away from this damn cold! LOL
    FABMAN

Another thing to think about is your Insurance. They may have issues with you adding a blower and may cancel your policy.
    2024 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red - Performance Package - Nite Pony Package - Active Exhaust - Recaro Seats - Magneride
    2023 Ford F150 XLT - Agate Black - Powerboost - Black Appearance Package - Black Rhino Atlas Wheels (18X9) - BF Goodrich K02 (275,70,R18)

Here’s what to expect if you go this route but for me personally a factory built car with a supercharger is the most reliable way to go and you get full factory warranty.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Thinking About Supercharging

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Here’s what to expect if you go this route but for me personally a factory built car with a supercharger is the most reliable way to go and you get full factory warranty.
    But I can’t afford a new GT 500

Buddy Gt 500 hasn’t even taken delivery is going to try to make it for June 11 TMP road course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver