Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 407 Rant

407 Rant

$45.76. That's what its costing me round trip to get myself to/from work. Thankfully I've got a mostly work from home gig.

Did the math, and if I had to take it mon-fri, for a full year, that would be almost $11 grand!!!

Yes, it is a shorter trip (vs. 401), but the price is quickly getting out of reach for most, save those that get to write off/expense it.

Only bright spot, was a recent "exclusive" offer that was made to me by them.....offering a flat $60/month if I get on between 7-9:30 am. and 3:30 & 6 pm. Probably because I sent them a nice letter explaining how costly their highway is and how its becoming out of reach for many to use (despite all their ads/radio commercials promoting the benefits, i.e. reduced time). I can't argue that it doesn't save time, because it does for me....but $11,000.00 for that time savings? No way Hosea!

And with Canada and teachers pensions both with significant shares in the company, and about 70+ years left on what is apparently iron clad lease contract, the only way anything *might* happen is to see a large reduction in users. I'd love to know what the penalty is to break the lease...…

I can't wait for the soon to come day when I can take their transponder and give it back to them....with a nice note attached.

Rant off.

The cost to use this highway is offside. I was in Indiana a couple of months ago and used their toll route. I did a distance of about 80 miles and my cost was $2.95. No video toll fees just a nice lady in a toll booth that took my money.

I can not understand how using this highway for commuting is beneficial.
    For me though I only use it once every three or four months. As I haven’t driven in 401/Toronto traffic for decades I find that drive very frustrating. I get on near Milton to 115 to Peterborough and on way home 115 to 403 in Burlington.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    The cost to use this highway is offside. I was in Indiana a couple of months ago and used their toll route. I did a distance of about 80 miles and my cost was $2.95. No video toll fees just a nice lady in a toll booth that took my money.
    Yep, the U.S. tolls are at the opposite end of the scale......lucky Americans in that respect. I have to wonder where we would be at now if the Harris government hadn't sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    For me though I only use it once every three or four months. As I haven’t driven in 401/Toronto traffic for decades I find that drive very frustrating. I get on near Milton to 115 to Peterborough and on way home 115 to 403 in Burlington.
    That's a long way. How much does that cost you (Milton to 115)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
    For me, I have two options to get to work: “highway” 7 or highway 407. I go from the east end of Markham, to the west end. It’s 20 minutes or 40 minutes. You can’t really call hwy 7 a highway, it’s not.
    Don’t really have a lot of alternate option up here.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    Yep, the U.S. tolls are at the opposite end of the scale......lucky Americans in that respect. I have to wonder where we would be at now if the Harris government hadn't sold it.
    Yes in USA toll roads are so cheap.
    Last one I was on I was driving for like 45 minutes and cost like 3 dollars when I exited..no kidding

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    For me, I have two options to get to work: “highway” 7 or highway 407. I go from the east end of Markham, to the west end. It’s 20 minutes or 40 minutes. You can’t really call hwy 7 a highway, it’s not.
    Don’t really have a lot of alternate option up here.
    Normally I'll take hwy 7 from Oshawa right thru to Brock in Pickering, then enter the 407. On return (from Hwy 427), I'll get off at Donald Cousins and take Hwy 7 all the way home. It saves me $4 or $5 bucks per round trip. Any yah, not sure how they get away with calling some Hwy's....a highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    If the Harris government had not leased (not sold) it, then Mc Skinty or Winbag would have done so in a heart beat.
    2024 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red - Performance Package - Nite Pony Package - Active Exhaust - Recaro Seats - Magneride - H-Pipe
    2023 Ford F150 XLT - Agate Black - Powerboost - Black Appearance Package - Black Rhino Atlas Wheels (18X9) - BF Goodrich K02 (275,70,R18)

Quote Originally Posted by R3troGT View Post
    If the Harris government had not leased (not sold) it, then Mc Skinty or Winbag would have done so in a heart beat.
    Yes very likely.....because ALL elected parties are after just one thing; maintaining their power. They don't think about their short sighted decisions (in this case, I believe Harris wanted to balance the books). I'd like to a law instituted whereby the government in power can't sell something valued more then $1B without getting the publics ok.....hold a vote/referendum.