Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberal leader hopeful gets caught up in a pool zoning issue

Liberal leader hopeful gets caught up in a pool zoning issue

Looks like another politician ignoring the rules, went ahead with a pool install without the proper permits. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...pool-1.5477017
    Hope he has to fill it in.

'Better to ask forgiveness than permission'....

It’s now a public pool. Pool party at Del Duca’s!

Del Duca concedes they continued with construction and finished the pool anyway.
    -Don____________

From the comments section:

You want the top job lawmaker job in Ontario and you 1. Cannot be bothered to follow the law and get the proper building permit(s) and 2. Because you're breaking the law, it will cost you money to remove your precious pool, you want to take protected lands from the people so you can float in your law-breaking pool? No, Mr. Del Duca, you are not a suitable candidate for the leadership by any stretch of the imagination. You cannot be trusted with small matters of law, we certainly cannot trust you with bigger ones.
    The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

Leonardo da Vinci

Mustang Occasionally
    Wouldn’t it be up to the contractor to secure the proper permits? If the property owner is told by his contractor all is well and then gets a notice from the city that there’s a problem, is it the contractors problem or the property owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    Wouldn’t it be up to the contractor to secure the proper permits? If the property owner is told by his contractor all is well and then gets a notice from the city that there’s a problem, is it the contractors problem or the property owners?
    Property owner is ultimately responsible
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

As a contractor I tell all of my clients, emphatically, that a permit is required. Unfortunately, many municipalities put up huge roadblocks to obtaining such permits. A couple of years ago, I had a homeowner in Mississauga apply for a permit to replace an existing deck. After 18 months, 4 visits to the building department by the homeowner and two visits by my self to the officials involved, the homeowner succeeded in getting the permit only by lobbying his local MP. Another homeowner applied for a permit and it took Two years to get it, also for a deck. In the end they did it without a permit. I many instances, the homeowner is simply not allowed to build what he wants, often for what seems arbitrary reasons.
    If the homeowner declines the hassle of getting a permit, then sometimes I will build the project anyway. However, I always check property lines, easements and restrictions, advising the homeowner of such, and will refuse to build anything that's "over the line" so to speak. I also adhere strictly to the Ontario Building code(OBC). I have never had a deck refused for inspection of structure.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Property owner is ultimately responsible
    Correct. Normally is stipulated in the bid/contract as to if the contractor has included a price for them to obtain the permits on behalf of the owner or if the owner is to obtain them on their own and provide to contractor. But the onus is on the home owner to ensure the work is all being completed with permits. Now, if the contractor stipulated they were obtaining permits and never actually obtained them that's a different legal battle. But even in that situation home owner was technically supposed to ensure proper permits pulled and posted prior to work start and inspections are passed.

Sounds to me like what happened was the GC told the client "Hey we should get a permit, but if you do its $xxxx in additional costs and we may not be able to build it the way you want. So lets shake it and roll em" and they rolled snake eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Sounds to me like what happened was the GC told the client "Hey we should get a permit, but if you do its $xxxx in additional costs and we may not be able to build it the way you want. So lets shake it and roll em" and they rolled snake eyes.
    So - lawmaker not following the law......

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    this should be held up as a prime example of the need for smaller government, less red tape.

while shafting this official is satisfying in the short term it highlights the larger issue of the total bullshit of the permitting process.

government should not be obstructing
    At one time I would have agreed, but given human nature (and industry self regulation failures) I don't trust business or individuals to make the right call any longer. They are like kids in the school yard without supervision.