Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the crazy one?

Am I the crazy one?

I'll try to keep the story brief.

My DD is a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder that I bought new in January of 2016.

I did all the research and compared against competing brands and the Pathfinder just checked more boxes for me. I read all about the CVT issues and I am sure I have read posts on here about how you are all hyper fans of the CVT. For the most part, all the information I read pointed to Nissan sorting out the issues with the CVT for the Pathfinder with sharp declines in issues after 2014. Just in case, I insisted on purchasing an extended warranty. The selling dealer sold me a third party extended warranty through Lubrico. I asked for a Nissan warranty and was told that they only sell third party extended.

Very early in the life, under 10K km, I started getting the dreaded CVT shudder. I took it to the dealer and they updated the software. This worked as I had no issues until I reached 164K km. Ran perfect and smooth and really is a joy to drive.

At about 80K km, my fan motor and bearing assembly let go - a common issue with this part. I took it into the selling dealer and this is the first time I learned that they didn't service the Lubrico warranty they sold me. In fact, the service manager had no idea what Lubrico was. This was alarming and the last time I serviced the car at this dealer - just a matter of integrity for me. This particular issue was serviced under good faith and at no charge to me because I had other issues with this service department. It was good of them to react to their previous issues in this way but I just couldn't get past the attitude of the service advisors and starting using another Nissan dealer for service. This service would have cost around $1800.

At 120K km, my alternator failed which cost me $1800.00 to repair.

At 164k km, I had a service engine light and mild CVT shudder. The P170F code was found which is an immediate transmission replacement at a Nissan dealer. This service was diagnosed by the servicing Nissan dealer who also doesn't honour Lubrico warranty. I contacted Lubrico and they sorted me out through a reputable service centre close by. Lubrico was decent and straight forward, as was the service centre. All things aside, the overall experience was good. The service shop tried everything before they simply agreed with the code. They ruled out all other possibilities first. The Nissan dealer didn't advise there were other possibilities at all. Just matter of fact said I needed a new transmission.

Lubrico would only cover the cost of a used transmission found at a scrap yard. If I wanted any assurances that the transmission was in some sort of good order, I had the option to pay the difference and have a Nissan factory rebuilt transmission that came with a 20k km/1 year warranty. Although I am sure this is standard, I think it is a weak warranty. Just my perception. I opted for the latter. Total cost of the repair $6000.00.

I decided to contact Nissan to share my perception about their build quality. The customer service person I was speaking with immediately thought I was trying to get them to cover the cost of the service - I strongly reinforced that I didn't want any financial compensation. I shared with Nissan that I have already had three major and costly issues with my vehicle and I really don't have any faith in their build quality. I am pretty well stuck at this point. My options are to keep it and hope for the best or trade at a huge loss. I asked Nissan to restore my faith and offer a better warranty than the 20k km offered.

They declined that and offered me a $100.00 gas card. They sighted that since I did not service the vehicle through Nissan that they couldn't do anything for me. Let's back the truck up a bit. Nissan dealer sold me a third party warranty that they don't service forcing me to go to an alternate shop. Now they use this as their get out of jail free card.

To be perfectly clear here, my issues is that I now feel that Nissan is of subject quality and of even less integrity.

I offered to go there and shove the gas card up the ass of the Nissan Canada CEO personally, but in a much more diplomatic way.

Am I nuts to expect that a young truck with reasonably low km would have so many major failures? Did I get what I deserve or am I delusional to expect that Nissan restore my faith? Before you simply say too bad, I ask you to put yourself in my position. The truck is young and regardless of warranties or good will situations, the service in the four years I have owned it is just shy of $10k. Do you think that is reasonable? The average cost to service a vehicle is noted at $500 - $700/year. I am 4 - 5 times that not taking into account regular maintenance costs.

BTW, all fluids were changed on time. On a recent service, I asked them to service the transmission and they said it wasn't due for a service yet. That was about 10k km ago.

Those repair costs are rediculas...normal 100+ per hour is going rates...that's same rate I paid for the last lawyer I used...I should been a mechanic instead of a nuclear operator....

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Sorry about your troubles.

My experience with my 2016 Frontier has been the exact opposite. Granted I have less km’s on it than your Pathfinder, but the only issues I’ve had to date have been: one blown rear shock, and a corroded battery terminal. They replaced the shock under warranty and the battery terminal was a minor issue. I’ve tried a few dealerships so far, and have settled on Village Nissan near me. They seem adequate.

I got my Nissan at Midway in Whitby. Sales department was great. Best one of several I tried to buy a truck. Don’t know about the service department.
    -Don____________

Mustang Occasionally
    I just wouldn’t have bought a CVT to begin with, especially from a manufacturer that has had so many issues with them early on. I say cut your losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    I just wouldn’t have bought a CVT to begin with,
    I didn’t want to say this, but CVT just seems like a poor solution to maximizing mileage. Okay for a snowmobile, not okay for a car IMO.

Doesn’t excuse the other issues he’s had.
    -Don____________

Sorry to hear. Sounds like a nightmare to begin with. 3rd party warranty from a dealer? That's a red flag to me but maybe I'm naive. Pushing you to another shop is also a bit of a mindfuck.

I don't think your expectations are outlandish. We routinely run trucks up to 200,000 kms without much more than fluid changes/brakes/tires.

Sounds to me like mentally youre exhausted with the truck and the brand. I think it's time to move on from at least one if not both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Nephews Nissan with CVT was same shiat as yours, after fighting to get replaced under warranty, trans started to let go again just out of warranty with no relief from Nissan, dumped it and took the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Sounds to me like mentally youre exhausted with the truck and the brand. I think it's time to move on from at least one if not both.
    You in my head? To quote my email correspondence with Nissan. "I am thoroughly at my wits end...I cannot wait for the day that I can separate myself from your brand"

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    Media and social media shame campaign. Throw as wide a net as you can and try to get as many Nissan exec's on distributions.
    In my last note to Nissan, I asked for the $100 gas card and told them I will make a Youtube video about my story and offer the gas card to the person that comments with a story worse than mine. I'm waiting for a reply or the gas card.

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    Those repair costs are rediculas...normal 100+ per hour is going rates...that's same rate I paid for the last lawyer I used...I should been a mechanic instead of a nuclear operator....
    LOL!

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Sorry to hear the BS they are putting you through. My neighbour is on his 3rd CVT in his Altima. Brutal.