Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning rotors?

Club Supporter

Turning rotors?

Haven't done this in a while but GM dealer advising of brake service is saying pads need to be replaced and rotors turned - I didn't realize this was still common.

Anyone know what the cost to turn rotors is now? I'll have to look around for somewhere close to me that does this (other than the dealer).

Thanks!

Machining factory rotors, yes do it here frequently. Aftermarket rotors are generally too thin and not worth the cost anyway.
    $180 for 2 rotors using on car rotor lathe (Honda dealer)
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

I would just purchase new quality rotors. Dimensions of new quality after market rotors should be same as oem rotors.

It's been about 10 years since I had a rotor turned, but back then it was about $20/rotor. If you have expensive rotors, I wouldn't hesitate to turn them instead of buying new cheap ones.

We've seen excellent results using a good mid level rotor with first line pads. Not seeing a days more life out of rotors costing twice or more. Experimenting now with E coated rotors, too early to tell if they are gonna stand up any better or not.

Club Supporter
    Thanks! They're the GM/Cadillac rotors which I think run about $140 each new - thought I've have to buy new ones like with my Volvo who says not to machine but the GM/Cadillac dealership is quoting new pads and turned rotors which surprised me. I'm going to do it myself anyway but will have to find a shop to do it (unless aftermarket but pricing might be similar for the Brembo system). Still surprised because the Volvo and previous car (Lincoln) didn't do turning - just replacement. GM/Caddy Brembo rotors must be thicker (Volvo has Brembos too)?

Many times, backside of the rotor is corroded n flaking too badly to properly machine anyways.
    Check Rock Auto to see what a decent new set are worth?

Club Supporter
    I'll take a look but brake parts end up being close to local pricing if shipped x-border due to weight...unless I pick up. US prices have gone up though so I'm finding it's either same price as local or more expensive now to buy in US (maybe impact of tariffs on US prices?).

From rockauto I can buy a pair of front ford motorcraft rotors for the ford fusion for $250 cad including taxes and shipping...$160 cad for pair motorcraft for 2004 mustang. Normal delivery time to front door is 4 days.
    Last edited by bbriann; 03-09-2020 at 07:00 PM.

Brembo rotors are hardened & cannot be machined
    Replacing ordinary rotors gets you a part warranty, machining does not so you have to figure out the difference
    With all the brine they spray on the roads, its hard to find a rotor worth machining these days.

If its a summer car that's stored & the rotor is in good shape, I could see machining a warped rotor with a ProCut as a stress relieving process that would make it a better product
    Last edited by Spock; 03-09-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: extra info