Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning rotors?

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Brembo rotors are hardened & cannot be machined
    Replacing ordinary rotors gets you a part warranty, machining does not so you have to figure out the difference
    With all the brine they spray on the roads, its hard to find a rotor worth machining these days.

If its a summer car that's stored & the rotor is in good shape, I could see machining a warped rotor with a ProCut as a stress relieving process that would make it a better product
    It might just be that the calipers are from Brembo on the ATS (unless Brembo makes the OE pads/rotors for GM for this application) but this is a Cadillac dealer that is quoting machining as part of their brake service (pads and rotors) instead of trying to sell me new rotors. I asked them if they don't just replace the rotors with the pads and they said in most cases, no.

These are daily driver cars.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    From rockauto I can buy a pair of front ford motorcraft rotors for the ford fusion for $250 cad including taxes and shipping...$160 cad for pair motorcraft for 2004 mustang. Normal delivery time to front door is 4 days.
    On Rock Auto the OE rotor for the ATS with Brembos is just under $20 cheaper than buying from the Cadillac/GM dealer here (before taxes, shipping, brokerage or customs if applicable)....so pretty much same price or maybe more expensive depending on shipping/other fees.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Many times, backside of the rotor is corroded n flaking too badly to properly machine anyways.
    Check Rock Auto to see what a decent new set are worth?
    Dealer had the car for something else and checked the brakes (I knew I had to do them this late winter/spring) and quoted the pad/rotor service so I think they are ok to machine. I figured I had to buy both when I got to doing it versus just new pads. New front OE set at Rock is about $260/pair.

I would want to see what the GM service manual says about machining rotors with Brembo Parts