Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All things car trailer.

All things car trailer.

With more and more of us using a car trailer on a semi regular basis, thought I'd start a thread to discuss.

Trailer maintenance

~ Tire pressure, inflate to max shown on the tire sidewall, yes even if trailering lighter loads.

~ Keep a regular eye on your tires for signs of weather cracking etc, tire covers or even a piece of plywood to block the sun will add life to them. Same goes to excessive rust etc on the rims

~ Start of the season, remove each wheel, check hub for excessive rust on the mounting face, clean if required, light coat of copper never seize and torque nuts when reinstalling.

~ If your axles are equipped with either bearing buddies or drilled / greaseable option, with wt off the wheel (jack up on the axle is fine) remove the dust cap and add grease while slowly spinning the wheel. Both systems have a spring loaded indicator to show when it's full. This should be done at least at the start of each season and good idea to repeat after each use or two, more often if you travel longer distances especially when it's hot out.

~ Safety chains must have positive lock hooks, S type hooks are no longer legit. When hooked to your tow vehicle, chains must be crossed.

~ Tie down straps, load range must be clearly marked and straps in good shape with no snags or cuts. As for how to use, some inspectors insist at least rear tie downs must be crossed / X'd to prevent load from shifting sideways, good idea to cross front and rear when possible.

~ Realistically, should do a full frame and suspension check before start of the season plus at least a light look over springs, shackles and general frame condition before each use. Walk around to check lights before pulling out of the drive way is a no brainer.

Loading your ride, not sure where this came from but do see the odd person loading a car (empty shell or trailer long enough to move load far enough forward are exceptions) on the trailer backwards. To say the practice is dangerous would be an understatement. Did you know, even when pulling with a dually or similar all it would take is a couple or three little scallops / whoops in the road to see the trailer and truck start a motion that would lift / take enough wt off the rear of your truck for it to suddenly change direction? Yes exception to the rule would be a trailer long enough to move vehicle further forward. Just because you may have done it a "million times" without incident does not mean your not an accident looking for a place to happen.
    Some may also not be aware, how far forward or backward you tie your ride down makes a profound difference in how your truck n trailer combo perform. While you need adequate tongue wt, no upside to having excessive wt and having the trucks butt dragging or just plain driving poorly. If your unsure, good idea to buy a tonque wt scale, not expensive. There are also a few apps out there that do that and then some.

Can anyone chime in if electric brake breakaway boxes are required by law or just suggested? Same goes for if law to have breakaway cable to activate hyd brakes?

Great question ZR, I currently borrow a trailer with electric brakes on both axles but no breakaway box.
    I hear good things about those Miska trailers too.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

One I bought is the twin to Dave's trailer. Was originally looking at a new full aluminum or perhaps steel / galvanized dipped but this one fell into my lap on a deal that was too good to pass up.
    Will be looking to make Left fender removable or perhaps load with a winch, maybe both.

Anyone have experience with this app?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    To say the practice is dangerous would be an understatement.
    -Don____________

Anyone have experience with this app?

We run Weigh Safe Hitches to check tonque weight. Also to answer your question had a couple open decks fail annuals this year because the electric breakaway box was inop, so do believe it's a requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Can anyone chime in if electric brake breakaway boxes are required by law or just suggested? Same goes for if law to have breakaway cable to activate hyd brakes?
    required by law on trailers with brakes - first thing the DOT will check for and test in a raodside inspection - could b after a certain weight but my understanding trailers with brakes need a back up braking system... I don't work on the small trailers enough to know the exact law.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

^^^Keep in mind now - personal trailers don't need a safety certificate nor does the truck if it is also personal - the kicker to this for car guys or race guys the DOT may question you if they find tools on either one of the vehicles when coupled -
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works