Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All things car trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Loading your ride, not sure where this came from but do see the odd person loading a car (empty shell or trailer long enough to move load far enough forward are exceptions) on the trailer backwards. To say the practice is dangerous would be an understatement. Did you know, even when pulling with a dually or similar all it would take is a couple or three little scallops / whoops in the road to see the trailer and truck start a motion that would lift / take enough wt off the rear of your truck for it to suddenly change direction? Yes exception to the rule would be a trailer long enough to move vehicle further forward. Just because you may have done it a "million times" without incident does not mean your not an accident looking for a place to happen.
    Some may also not be aware, how far forward or backward you tie your ride down makes a profound difference in how your truck n trailer combo perform. While you need adequate tongue wt, no upside to having excessive wt and having the trucks butt dragging or just plain driving poorly. If your unsure, good idea to buy a tonque wt scale, not expensive. There are also a few apps out there that do that and then some.
    Just to clarify, you are referring to vehicles that have much more front than rear weight? If that's the case, how would you load a mid or rear engine vehicle?

Great looking product, lil on the spendy side but looks like one of those get what you pay for kinda deals.

Quote Originally Posted by G-ForceJunkie View Post
    Just to clarify, you are referring to vehicles that have much more front than rear weight? If that's the case, how would you load a mid or rear engine vehicle?

Yes exactly that scenario. Based on how far back many / most trailer mfg's are locating the axles, suspect they are building in a higher level of idiot proofing into their offerings vs years gone by. While that puts a product out there thats harder to make dangerous, leaves most with tongue wt far above whats needed to be safe unless they load with with rear bumper pretty much even with rear of the trailer. Example, when using a U Haul transporter for my own car, position front tire just behind cross bar for the tire basket and use my own straps (front and rear) to secure. Still leaves it with excessive tongue wt but way closer to manageable. Of course with smaller / lighter cars, less of an issue. Trailer I just bought, axles are a good ways further back vs where I'd think is optimal for my use, I'll use tongue wt scale to confirm but moneys on rear bumper ends up pretty much even with rear of the trailer.
    Good thought on the mid or rear engine car, if trailer is long enough, bet you can bring far enough forward to keep the hitch scale happy or if req'd, load backwards. Based on wheel positioning of my own trailer, bet more than enough room to get it balanced n pulling safely.
    Funny story about wheel positioning and wt carrying, back in the day, local major wrecker supplier built me their first ever roll off / alum flat bed tow truck with a stinger on an extended cab dually chassis. Truck looked great n drove well but even with a car on the deck we could not keep front wheels of the truck on the ground with even a small car on the stinger. Seems they made a lil miscalculation on wheel base, truck required complete dismantle and re stretch chassis n reinstall wrecker.
    Back to car trailers, for those pulling with a 3/4 ton or perhaps one ton dually, extra tongue wt would easily go un noticed unless loading with a scale or similar. Same extra wt on a 1/2 ton and the truck tells you in a hurry to sort things out.

Wish I knew more about wt distribution hitches, can anyone chime in?
    Perhaps more of us should be using them, not sure.
    Talked to a couple of trailer shops about them but came away feeling I was getting more of a salesman's pitch vs real world advice.

Not needed on a open deck pulling a car IMO. However if you had a long wheelbase enclosed with cabinets or equipment or heavy RV trailer a definite yes in my opinion. More RV in my opinion where you can't really adjust the tongue weight as much and might end up with a unit that isn't right where you feel it needs to be.

Also yes on the weigh safe, high price but high function. If you have one trailer/one cargo type deal then properly setting up tongue weight does really need that as you can dial it in low tech once and remember. But for a multiple trailer/varying cargo situation it pulls a lot of the guess work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Agree with this. ^^^^ WD not needed with most car trailers and most cars. Go with a 27 ft enclosed with a pickup in it a WD hitch might be prudent. Check the tongue weight limit on your trucks hitch. It will also list tongue weight with WD hitch. I am certain you will be fine with almost any load you put on there. Make sure the ball on your hitch is rated for enough to tow the weight of the trailer plus load. I would say get the highest rated ball and drawbar you can. I also think that safety chains must have weight and certification tags on them. My camper does.

I did some research on the "Breakaway Braking Systems" and it's kind of all over the place. I've worked on these systems and have installed them in the past and was under the impression they where required. In Ontario it seems this is not the case they are not required. If you purchased a new trailer and the "Breakaway System" is installed it's likely the trailer was built in a state or province that requires the Breakaway System". The only requirement I can find for Ontario is over 3000 pounds requires brakes on at least one axle. Now if you have a trailer with the "Breakaway System" and it is not working the Ministry may enforce that for the simple fact, that everything on the trailer needs to be working. One other note that I have experienced with the DOT in Ontario - if they see this system on a trailer they will use it to test the trailer brakes to ensure the trailer brakes are working. If they activate the Breakaway System and your brakes don't come on they will assume your trailer brakes don't work. I've had this happen to customers. My advice if it is not required in Ontario and you don't leave Ontario remove it or make sur the system works. If you plan on taking your trailer out of Ontario the laws may change in regards to this.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

^ Appreciate your chiming in.

So what's a safe tongue weight to aim for? I assume moving the car front or rear would change it
    Safe weight web site says approx. 10% of trailer weight so I guess I just answered my own question
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Not needed on a open deck pulling a car IMO. However if you had a long wheelbase enclosed with cabinets or equipment or heavy RV trailer a definite yes in my opinion. More RV in my opinion where you can't really adjust the tongue weight as much and might end up with a unit that isn't right where you feel it needs to be.

Also yes on the weigh safe, high price but high function. If you have one trailer/one cargo type deal then properly setting up tongue weight does really need that as you can dial it in low tech once and remember. But for a multiple trailer/varying cargo situation it pulls a lot of the guess work out.
    Have to agree with this on distribution hitches - I've only seen them on trailers longer that 16' with heavy loads or loads the may range widely across the deck - they do help with sway - There is a 25" Airstream (1973) in my driveway it is equipped with this very heavy trailer

I had a scary situation last year pulling a 2 horse trailer - had one brake stopped working on one side causing the trailer to swing back and forth and the one side continued to work - pulled over and disconnected the brakes and nursed it home - really important to make sure everything is working - it doesn't hurt to get out and check at the destination before returning and also periodically if on a long trip....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works