Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  49
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thinking of an opportunity for a career change?

Foxstang

Anyone thinking of an opportunity for a career change?

I'm on the chopping block for a layoff at work, it hinges on the executives' appetite to continue to invest in future-proofing projects. The department I manage is all about "the future", not operational "keep lights on". I'm either going to be really busy because I have to get rid of my staff and have to run everything on my own or I will have no department and be at home on unemployment. I'm not sure which situation is better, to be honest, in times like these it's good to have a job. But I started to think "what if" and honestly, I'm not any happier than I was when I was making half the money I am now. I'm a builder and a creative person and my job doesn't really allow that - not the extent that makes me happy. lol

I think if I suddenly have time on my hands, I will update my web development and web marketing skills and get back into that field full-time (I've been in management for a while now). I could work remotely full-time performing SEO work and/or web development (react.js front-end development to be exact). I'm also thinking I could start a small consulting company to help businesses convert their workforce into work-from-home to cut overhead costs and help resolve some BCP/DR issues around IT.

Anyway, it's a bit of a situation that is forcing us to think "is this life really worth it"? Wife and I are seriously considering changing our careers so we don't have to be in an office 955 so we can buy a hobby farm somewhere that would allow us to pay for it in cash (obviously not in the GTA lol) and just live a simple life.

What I've realized is that we are nothing to the companies we work for, generally speaking - there are some exceptions. No one should ever have to work harder than they should because at the end of the day they are nothing more than a 10mm socket in a toolbox. Once worn out, it's thrown out and replaced. I fooled myself for most of my life thinking that if I work my fingers to the bone, I will be appreciated and rewarded. Far from the truth. The trick is perception and really it's all a political play, not really about the work. I've been trying to play those office games, it makes me sick inside. I'd rather be in a position where intelligence + hard work = value. I can fit a very productive 8 hour day into 4 hours. I have no choice to do short bursts of intense work because my ADD kicks into high gear and nothing gets done if I have to do a "normal" 8 hour day LOL. As a dev, I used to do 20 hour weeks and do as much work as my collegues doing 40 hours. LOL I miss those days of pure tomfoolery.

A bit of an existential crisis on my end, it's been happening for years now, slowly eating away at my soul but with the force majeure that's happening, really puts things into perspective. Any similar stories with you guys?

Your 3rd paragraph is the direction I am considering .

I try not to make major life choices while in the midst of a pandemic. When this is all over self reflection and change would be appropriate, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    I try not to make major life choices while in the midst of a pandemic. When this is all over self reflection and change would be appropriate, IMO.
    It’s been something I’ve been wanting to do since I went through my hellish experience 3 yrs ago . I was told then not to make dramatic changes but I kick myself for not following through , & now it feels like round #2 . Idk I guess what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger might hold some water.

I gave my one year notice.....to retirement!!!!

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxstang View Post
    I'm on the chopping block for a layoff at work, it hinges on the executives' appetite to continue to invest in future-proofing projects. The department I manage is all about "the future", not operational "keep lights on". I'm either going to be really busy because I have to get rid of my staff and have to run everything on my own or I will have no department and be at home on unemployment. I'm not sure which situation is better, to be honest, in times like these it's good to have a job. But I started to think "what if" and honestly, I'm not any happier than I was when I was making half the money I am now. I'm a builder and a creative person and my job doesn't really allow that - not the extent that makes me happy. lol

I think if I suddenly have time on my hands, I will update my web development and web marketing skills and get back into that field full-time (I've been in management for a while now). I could work remotely full-time performing SEO work and/or web development (react.js front-end development to be exact). I'm also thinking I could start a small consulting company to help businesses convert their workforce into work-from-home to cut overhead costs and help resolve some BCP/DR issues around IT.

Anyway, it's a bit of a situation that is forcing us to think "is this life really worth it"? Wife and I are seriously considering changing our careers so we don't have to be in an office 955 so we can buy a hobby farm somewhere that would allow us to pay for it in cash (obviously not in the GTA lol) and just live a simple life.

What I've realized is that we are nothing to the companies we work for, generally speaking - there are some exceptions. No one should ever have to work harder than they should because at the end of the day they are nothing more than a 10mm socket in a toolbox. Once worn out, it's thrown out and replaced. I fooled myself for most of my life thinking that if I work my fingers to the bone, I will be appreciated and rewarded. Far from the truth. The trick is perception and really it's all a political play, not really about the work. I've been trying to play those office games, it makes me sick inside. I'd rather be in a position where intelligence + hard work = value. I can fit a very productive 8 hour day into 4 hours. I have no choice to do short bursts of intense work because my ADD kicks into high gear and nothing gets done if I have to do a "normal" 8 hour day LOL. As a dev, I used to do 20 hour weeks and do as much work as my collegues doing 40 hours. LOL I miss those days of pure tomfoolery.

A bit of an existential crisis on my end, it's been happening for years now, slowly eating away at my soul but with the force majeure that's happening, really puts things into perspective. Any similar stories with you guys?
    Aren't you doing your MBA or have finished? Not looking for a ROI on that? Maybe just changing to something you enjoy may work (assuming you are not enjoying your work/environment from the posts)?

Did mine years ago and it's provided insulation for me and allowed me to pick and choose roles and environments that don't feel like work (doesn't mean it isn't stressful at times but "stress" isn't always bad). I won't work in an environment/culture that doesn't fit my preferences.

I could retire now and live comfortably using the 4% retirement rule but as long as I'm having fun I'll keep doing what I'm doing for now. Maybe in a couple years switch to a role where an equity stake with an eye to IPO or buyout/takeover may be the company's exit strategy....as long as it's enjoyable to me.
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 04-03-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    At midnight tonight I have exactly 29 years in as a nuclear operator...
    Time flies... 1 year from midnight based on my age I qualify for Retirement....

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

I'm going to slow down. Find something part time close to home.
    ~Scott B

Club Supporter
    Some "tough" talk - just for general consumption (explicit language if kids are around).

https://andyfrisella.com/blogs/reala...-these-5-fears
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 04-03-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    You'll love it!!
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!