Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 GT350 engine blew up.

It looks like the problems with some late 19's and 20's is due to a bad batch or valves.
    For anyone looking for one of these don't let it scare you, the whole thing got blown way out of proportion.
    Most engine replacements were due to excessive oil consumption, some of them probably didn't even need to be replaced. I get it that engines shouldn't be burning that much oil but i also wonder how those engines were used.
    Just make sure you buy the lowest mileage car you can afford and buy the ford extended warranty. You will be good to go and if the engine goes you get a new motor no big deal.

Even some 500's may be having the same issues with the valves.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-broke.138390/
    Last edited by N89; 04-08-2020 at 09:01 AM.

^^^i read that, but I didn’t understand what “valve” they were talking about?
    -Don____________

The only good thing about the 5.2L in the GT350 is the sound.
    Doing my part to boost the economy

Quote Originally Posted by N89 View Post
    It looks like the problems with some late 19's and 20's is due to a bad batch or valves.
    For anyone looking for one of these don't let it scare you, the whole thing got blown way out of proportion.
    Most engine replacements were due to excessive oil consumption, some of them probably didn't even need to be replaced. I get it that engines shouldn't be burning that much oil but i also wonder how those engines were used.
    Just make sure you buy the lowest mileage car you can afford and buy the ford extended warranty. You will be good to go and if the engine goes you get a new motor no big deal.

Even some 500's may be having the same issues with the valves.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-broke.138390/
    Ya My 23 yearold Camry with nearly 260,000 km doesn't burn a drop and a hand built voodoo engine burns oil? Ford can do better.

Mustang Occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    Ya My 23 yearold Camry with nearly 260,000 km doesn't burn a drop and a hand built voodoo engine burns oil? Ford can do better.
    Yes they do. But I'd still rather have a GT350 with a blown engine

I'm guessing that one of the ways it make the power it does in NA form is low tension piston rings along with looser piston fit than lower output production engines. That translates to more oil usage, especially when you rev the bejeesus out of them as they should be enjoyed. 5.0 HOs did the same thing back in the day, all of a sudden boom you could be down a litre of oil because they had loose fitting forged pistons with low tension rings.
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I'm also guessing some are expecting it to be like their family truckster mini van and use little to no oil between changes, given it's RPM and usage, some oil consumption is 100% normal. In the same breath, just because it has a max RPM north of 8k, does not mean the engine will live a long n healthy life constantly being driven one or more gears lower vs what it should just because it sounds good. Not saying everyone thats seen a failure drives it like but have seen more than one being cruised in a manner I'd fully expect it to drop dead. Engines hate big RPM and little to no load (especially mile after mile), it eats them alive.
    Not so many years ago, we'd never have dreamed a street legal production car could achieve such heights, kudo's to Ford.

Even with this issue I would still buy one but not in this pandemic. Don't even know if we will have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I don't know a lot about Camry's but a quick google search for Toyota Camry known issues came up with excessive oil burning as the #1 complaint.
    Does that mean all Camry's burn oil or blow up?

Don't believe everything you read on line, it is a small number of Voodoo engines that actually need to be replaced.
    And Ford does do better.... For example i had a 2010 Ford F-150 with 340,000 km's and the only thing i had to replace besides regular maintenance was an alternator.

Ford actually had the balls to "mass produce" an engine that revs up to 8,250 rpm's so kudo's to them for pushing the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    I'm also guessing some are expecting it to be like their family truckster mini van and use little to no oil between changes, given it's RPM and usage, some oil consumption is 100% normal. In the same breath, just because it has a max RPM north of 8k, does not mean the engine will live a long n healthy life constantly being driven one or more gears lower vs what it should just because it sounds good. Not saying everyone thats seen a failure drives it like but have seen more than one being cruised in a manner I'd fully expect it to drop dead. Engines hate big RPM and little to no load (especially mile after mile), it eats them alive.
    Not so many years ago, we'd never have dreamed a street legal production car could achieve such heights, kudo's to Ford.

^^^^^
    Agree 100% with everything you said.