Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Requirements for boost on a 4.6 2V

Requirements for boost on a 4.6 2V

I currently have the engine out of my 02 GT to pull the heads, do some light bowl porting and some cams. I would love to turbo this car and I have been researching what it will take to get me there.

I figure now is the time while the engine is out, and if I'm going to pull the heads anyways, I dont think it will be much more work to just break the whole thing down and do a forged rotating assembly.

I am currently looking for anyone who has any kernels of knowledge on doing this, and any cost savings or part recommendations they may have.

Cheers all!

Kyle

What are your h/p goals / intended use?

If the mustang has less than 100000km. I would recommend not touching the heads and cams just purchase a complete blower kit and slap it on and get it tuned. Probably not included in kit is fuel injectors and 300lph bbk drop in fuel pump and change rear gear to 373s, this will be cheapest rwhp in the end...

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    What are your h/p goals / intended use?
    No real HP target, the 4.6 in stock form leaves a lot to be desired, I guess my HP goal would be 450 if I were to put a number on it based on similar weight cars I've driven. Intended use is general street thrashing, drifting and roll racing anything/everything around.

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    If the mustang has less than 100000km. I would recommend not touching the heads and cams just purchase a complete blower kit and slap it on and get it tuned. Probably not included in kit is fuel injectors and 300lph bbk drop in fuel pump and change rear gear to 373s, this will be cheapest rwhp in the end...
    Motor has 109km on it. The stock cams paired up with with F/I does not sound logical? does it?

A Vortech kit right now is $7300CAD, and that does not account for injectors, rails and a fuel pump. I'd be in for $8500+, just to run boost on a stock 2V - Sounds like a recipe for breaking stuff! And for $8500+, I could Coyote swap and have 420hp N/A, but with more wrenching on my end.

What I like about boosting the 4.6 is:

1 - I Already have the 4.6
    2 - It's going to be receiving work anyways
    3 - I can piece together a turbo onto it for roughly $2000
    4 - If I put forged pistons, connecting rods and crank in it, along with some ARP studs and a better head gasket, it's likely going to survive being a F/I motor for a lot longer.
    5 - I don't have to swap the motor, and deal with the headaches that come with a swap.

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I know of a procharger for sale....

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    The brackets for 98 will not fit 04 mustang.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Quote Originally Posted by kyholm View Post
    Motor has 109km on it. The stock cams paired up with with F/I does not sound logical? does it?

A Vortech kit right now is $7300CAD, and that does not account for injectors, rails and a fuel pump. I'd be in for $8500+, just to run boost on a stock 2V - Sounds like a recipe for breaking stuff! And for $8500+, I could Coyote swap and have 420hp N/A, but with more wrenching on my end.

What I like about boosting the 4.6 is:

1 - I Already have the 4.6
    2 - It's going to be receiving work anyways
    3 - I can piece together a turbo onto it for roughly $2000
    4 - If I put forged pistons, connecting rods and crank in it, along with some ARP studs and a better head gasket, it's likely going to survive being a F/I motor for a lot longer.
    5 - I don't have to swap the motor, and deal with the headaches that come with a swap.
    Stock cams will work fine with FI and of course centrifugal specific cams will make more power like all modifications. Cams springs gaskets etc parts will be $1500 more to cost or just install blower and can run 10 psi and make 400 rwhp which is 180 rwhp more then you making now and with 373 gears it will feel like a beast . I would have went with a large stroker motor but wanted keep my airconditioner...

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    The brackets for 98 will not fit 04 mustang.
    It would with a 98 front timing cover.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'