Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Requirements for boost on a 4.6 2V

Quote Originally Posted by kyholm View Post
    My main concern is reliability/longevity. Can the cast pistons/rods/crank handle boost? From what I've read, yes, but not for long lol.

I just don't want to go to all the work of putting F/I on this thing to have to pull it again due to the heads lifting, bent rod, ect.

If I can reliably make 400rwhp with no worries of the motor yeeting itself - sign me up.
    !20,000 current kms on my ride. Been Vortech Supercharged at 10psi since 85-90,000. It's taken care of but also see's wide open every time I take it out, every on-ramp is a runway race, and I've driven it to North Carolina and back for Tail of the Dragon. Make sure the motor is healthy then buy a quality kit second hand (that's what I did), don't beat it without a good dyno tune, and don't skip on maintenance and upkeep once it's installed. You'll be fine.

Just remember the cost of the kit is one thing, but also remember you'll need a 400hp fuel system, 400hp clutch, and if you plan to drag it 400hp axles and diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    So, slap a blower on there with supporting mods n be happiest guy on the block.
    Centri blower, 4:10 /// PD blower 3:73
    Really I can get by safely with a 255LPH pump, 39lb injectors, MAF and a tune? I am honestly amazed by that info. Everyone on the internet seems to think these 2V motors are made of glass as far as putting boost to them. (and TBF, there are a ton of people breaking shit as well)
    Last edited by kyholm; 04-12-2020 at 12:50 PM.

How long it last will have a lot to do with who you choose to tune it, not every tuner is the same.

PM me if you need recommendations.

My main concern is reliability/longevity. Can the cast pistons/rods/crank handle boost? From what I've read, yes, but not for long lol.

I just don't want to go to all the work of putting F/I on this thing to have to pull it again due to the heads lifting, bent rod, ect.

If I can reliably make 400rwhp with no worries of the motor yeeting itself - sign me up.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Really I can get by safely with a 255LPH pump, 39lb injectors, MAF and a tune? I am honestly amazed by that info. Everyone on the internet seems to think these 2V motors are made of glass as far as putting boost to them. (and TBF, there are a ton of people breaking shit as well)
    That's legitimately my setup except 300lph fuel pump. Not endorsed but I know of several high 400hp 2v's on stock bottom end. Tune and fuel is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    !20,000 current kms on my ride. Been Vortech Supercharged at 10psi since 85-90,000. It's taken care of but also see's wide open every time I take it out, every on-ramp is a runway race, and I've driven it to North Carolina and back for Tail of the Dragon. Make sure the motor is healthy then buy a quality kit second hand (that's what I did), don't beat it without a good dyno tune, and don't skip on maintenance and upkeep once it's installed. You'll be fine.

Just remember the cost of the kit is one thing, but also remember you'll need a 400hp fuel system, 400hp clutch, and if you plan to drag it 400hp axles and diff.
    I need a new clutch and was planning on upgrading anyways, same goes for the fuel system. Rear end will likely see 31 spline axles when I do the gears.

I take it you're on stock internals?

Quote Originally Posted by Minaccia View Post
    How long it last will have a lot to do with who you choose to tune it, not every tuner is the same.
    This is very true, but cast internals can only go so far.

A good tuner will know the limits and stay within them even if the owner wants to see certain numbers, that's how the U.S. tuners works any ways.

I need a new clutch and was planning on upgrading anyways, same goes for the fuel system. Rear end will likely see 31 spline axles when I do the gears.

Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Stock motor aside from Comp Cams and springs.

+1 on people running blowers on a stock 2v. We've installed a bunch of them over the years, centrifugal & PD style. Like others said, it's all in the tune and taking care of it and it will last. The only time they blow up is if you do something stupid.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Hey a bolt on pro charger and intercooler for 3000.00 cash is a bonus . Just slap it on get it tuned and have a blast. after your 1st season and you want more, do the bottom end and turn it up. gonna be fun