Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bolt on upgrades to increase HP for 01 Bullitt

Bolt on upgrades to increase HP for 01 Bullitt

After some consideration, I would like to keep my car and upgrade performance.

The car was a factory V6 that now has a 4.6L Bullitt engine. Pretty well bone stock with the exception of a K&N air filter and I have no idea if that is actually an improvement over stock.

I have owned the car for 5 years and pretty well dealt with all the cosmetic items that I could have and would like to increase the HP. Did a dyno pull last year at Dasilva netting 248 to the wheels. I have to say, the whole crew at Dasilva's are a bunch of awesome guys. Joe said we could get the car to 400HP with some bolt ons and a tune. I would like to start the journey to 400. I realize this is modest compared to most of your cars but I drive this car about 500km per summer and just want to enjoy it with some more giddy up.

Anyway, looking to do some tinkering on my own and trying to work with at $1500 budget. So, this is what i am thinking:

Underdrive pulleys
    Cold Air Intake
    Cat back exhaust - should I take out the cats?
    Tune

I would appreciate some input from some experienced folks here. I am a white collar guy with a bit better than entry level wrenching skills. I don't think that list is going to get me to 400, what else do I need? Will it fit my budget?

Thanks
    Joe

put a gear in it, I believe stock bullitt is 3.27, dropping in a 3.73 or 4.10 will give you gains... not in power per say, but how the car gets that power you already have to the ground! More responsive, will feel more peppy...

Cat back sure... mainly for sound... pick up a couple pony's though, biggest gain in this area will be from changing the midpipe and I suggest staying catted with a high-flow

CAI + filter is all easy DIU mods

Underdrive pulleys won't add HP but it will help to free up the power you have a bit...

You could do a Short Throw shifter, again, not adding hp but will make your 500km a lot more enjoyable to drive

I agree gears is the best for a seat-of-the-pants improvement, 4.10s in that car will give a good kick and won’t be too bad in the highway at all. Bullitt comes with underdrive pulleys, I would leave those alone personally, but do a cold-air intake. $1500 is done with these mods.
    Cat-back exhaust is a good mod, as well as a catted h, or x-pipe, but you’re gonna have to choose if you want the sound of power, or the feel, cuz $1500 is what a good exhaust costs.

Yes gears is biggest kick for your money for sure.
    FYI FULL bolt ons including trickflow ported heads and bore and stroked to 323 CID and 11:1 compression I had 370ish rwhp...you wont get 400rwhp unless very large sized compression ratio and lots rpm...with race fuel
    Not making it streetable.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    Yes gears is biggest kick for your money for sure.
    FYI FULL bolt ons including trickflow ported heads and bore and stroked to 323 CID and 11:1 compression I had 370ish rwhp...you wont get 400rwhp unless very large sized compression ratio and lots rpm...with race fuel
    Not making it streetable.
    Thanks everyone, and thanks for that detail Brian. I didn't see how the bolt ons I listed would get it there either. Maybe add 20 - 40 with the tune but not 150.

So looks like I am doing gears and that doesn't look like a fun task for me...time to engage a pro.

Unless you're considering a blower kit a bolt-on, 400 hp from a 2V is a very tough go as Brian mentioned.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

+1 on gears.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Gears + Kenne Bell supercharger n hang the hell on.

So I got my hands on 4.10 gears and plan on having them installed soon. Does anyone have the handheld tuner to reprogram the speedo? Willing to pay for the services.

you might be able to do this with Forscan software if you order a $40 USB ODBII reader. THere are BLuetooth ones as well.

I ordered the USB one, interested to see what I can do
    https://i.imgur.com/rC6i0aD.jpg