Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car audio help

Car audio help

Having a speaker issue in my car. The audio keeps cutting out but the subwoofer keeps pumping out the bass. Happens after a couple minutes of driving. Sometimes while accelerating, sometimes when I go over a bump. Audio cuts out and I get this feedback noise thru the speakers. Lasts a few seconds and then it’s fine for a bit before it happens again. Anything besides checking the connections and wires I should be looking at?

Aftermarket amplifier I presume? Check your grounds, Re-clean the ground if necessary. Also check the fuse connections under the hood. Corrosion is a bitch. Disconnect one sub and go for a drive and see if one of the subs could be bad. Repeat with the other one as well if the first one was fine. Otherwise it could be the amp.

Yep. Aftermarket sub and amp. Came with the car when I bought it. By audio I meant the voice piece of the song cuts out but the bass keeps coming thru the sub. If the sub was bad would it cause the voice part to stop coming thru the speakers?

Disconnect the sub amp from the factory electronics and re-test then. If it’s still occurring then you need to figure out if it is speaker specific or happening on all 4. If its all 4 then your headunit is the culprit and needs repair. Individual speakers would need replacement. Hopefully that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quikgt View Post
    Yep. Aftermarket sub and amp. Came with the car when I bought it. By audio I meant the voice piece of the song cuts out but the bass keeps coming thru the sub. If the sub was bad would it cause the voice part to stop coming thru the speakers?

Definately helps, thanks.

Disconnected the sub and also found one of the rear speakers flopping around in its holder and zero protection on both wire connections. Whoever installed the system sure did a Mickey Mouse job of it. No issues on the trip to Lindsay and back so I’m going to reconnect the sub and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Nice if fix was just that simple.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix.
    Disconnected the sub and also found one of the rear speakers flopping around in its holder and zero protection on both wire connections. Whoever installed the system sure did a Mickey Mouse job of it. No issues on the trip to Lindsay and back so I’m going to reconnect the sub and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Seems to have been. Hopefully hooking the sub back up doesn’t screw it up again. Fixing the terrible wiring job is going to be a fucking disaster though. It’s a Gbody so plenty of space to lie down in the trunk while I do it lol.

Don’t be hesitant to replace wiring if necessary. Better not to splice unless it is really necessary.
    Seems to have been. Hopefully hooking the sub back up doesn’t screw it up again. Fixing the terrible wiring job is going to be a fucking disaster though. It’s a Gbody so plenty of space to lie down in the trunk while I do it lol.