Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Coolant Flush:

Coolant Flush:

Gonna do my own for my 2002 GT.

Anyone know if 50/50 Prestone is good enough?

If not, what do yall recommend?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I run whatever brand is on sale at Crappy Tire or Partsource which usually ends up being Prestone green when I'm buying and mix it myself with distilled water. No sense paying more for water in premixed is my thoughts anyway. You still have the original yellow in yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    I run whatever brand is on sale at Crappy Tire or Partsource which usually ends up being Prestone green when I'm buying and mix it myself with distilled water. No sense paying more for water in premixed is my thoughts anyway. You still have the original yellow in yours?
    Yes.

I figured Prestone would be fine but figured I'd get an opinion.

Thanks!

I do mine a bit differently. If the antifreeze doesn’t look contaminated with rust and sludge then every 5 years I drain everything that I can out of the system and refill with OEM coolant and deionized (not distilled) water. You can never get everything out of the system, if you do a few water flushes then you end up with diluted tap water remaining in the system and you need to adjust your mix. If I have a system that the antifreeze looks contaminated in then I go the full flush route. In my opinion unless your cooling system is very neglected you just want to replenish the corrosion inhibitors and you’ll end up with about 75% new coolant that’s compatible with the original mix.

Canadian Tire sells an OEM line of coolants that are probably a bit cheaper than going to the dealer. As far as distilled versus deionized water, distilled will be purified but still have mineral salts in it which you don’t want.
    Last edited by KRS; 05-06-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Adding to

Also the past 3 years I have been disconnecting the inlet and outlet of the heater core as there is supposed be a constant flow through it at all times and the inlet side of core collects all chunks from system. Did a burnout one time and blew inlet hose just prior to being stopped from starter guy..glad happened before doing 130+mph. Install new hose and it was expanding so I back flush core using garden hose and could not believe the crap that came out....all good now

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Quote Originally Posted by bbriann View Post
    Also the past 3 years I have been disconnecting the inlet and outlet of the heater core as there is supposed be a constant flow through it at all times and the inlet side of core collects all chunks from system. Did a burnout one time and blew inlet hose just prior to being stopped from starter guy..glad happened before doing 130+mph. Install new hose and it was expanding so I back flush core using garden hose and could not believe the crap that came out....all good now
    Thats how I was planning on doing it. Thanks for the info.

I remove the block drain plugs as well.
    That gets the crap out of the block and makes filling the system easier as no water is left in the block.

Block drain plugs can be a pita to remove but worth it.