Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tires?

New Tires?

I currently am running Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires, 245/45/17 all around on my 1991 5.0L Mustang.

Current tires went on in 2010, been on the car since then, with about 30,000km on them and stored on the car in the garage. Tires still look excellent and still has deep tread grooves.
    However, I'm wondering if the compound is starting to get hard now and thinking it may be time to replace them.
    The wheels are 03/04 Mustang GT five spoke 17" x 8" rims all around

My fox July 2015.jpg
    Like to use it for cruising, and hopefully some track days. Car has full Maximum Motorsports/Ford Racing suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra Brakes, etc...
    Might get caught in the rain so I don't want dry weather only tires.

Suggestions on similar quality/performance tire to replace them with. Apparently Bridgestone is just now discontinuing that particular tire.

Thoughts? Suggestions on where to buy?

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

I'd contact Fast Ed for tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    You know I will.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    You know I will.

10 yr old tires definitely should be replaced as they are aged out and hard. I'd suggest the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for best bang for the buck. They hang on well dry and wet, and are priced right. I had them on the 17" wheels on my SVO and was impressed. Several other members here have them on their Mustangs as well.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Sounds good, any idea how they compare to Nittos?

Both are great dual purpose tires but little doubt FireHawk's are going to outshine the Nitto's at the track.

My Nitto 555’s are 8 years old and were dangerous on the wet track last fall.
    I have dedicated dry track tires so looking for street tires that have good wet traction.
    So far Falken FK510 are winning based solely on their wet traction rating.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

“Cruising” and “Track Days” are two completely different things you are asking the tires to do. IMO, get a separate set of rims and put some NT05’s or equivalent track tires, you won’t be disappointed.
    -Don____________

If Brian is only looking at occasionally doing track days, and not worried about setting records while there something like the Firestones will do fine. I was impressed with how well my SVO hung on with them on track, dry and wet ... especially for the price. They are actually made off of a Bridgestone carcass (a model that isn't sold in North America) and branded as Firestones for the NA market. I guess that was easier and cheaper than developing a new gen top tier model for Firestone for our market.