Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tires?

Just a general thought, should a tire selection coincide with suspension/brake mods. Spend top dollar on quality parts, shouldn't a "Tier 1" tire be the consideration to take advantage of it?

That's a good thought, but IMO even the "tier 2" performance tires are so good these days, they are more than enough for most people and their driving habits. When I had my SVO at an early spring track day last year, a friend who came out to spectate and get some ride-alongs was astonished at the grip the Firestones had, even through some wet areas on the track ... this was in comparison to the R-compound tires that she used to race on, but it had been 20+ years since her last track outing.
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    If Brian is only looking at occasionally doing track days, and not worried about setting records while there something like the Firestones will do fine. I was impressed with how well my SVO hung on with them on track, dry and wet ... especially for the price. They are actually made off of a Bridgestone carcass (a model that isn't sold in North America) and branded as Firestones for the NA market. I guess that was easier and cheaper than developing a new gen top tier model for Firestone for our market.
    Interesting comment about them made off a Bridgestone carcass. I've had a couple of sets of high end Bridgestone tires and always thought they felt great. The Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport I currently have were great in dry and pretty good in wet as well.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

I have had the RE760 Sports on my '04 Cobra for about six years and approximately seven thousand kilometeres. Soon I will be replacing them because tires have a lifespan of five to seven years from the date of manufacture. The rubber ages,the oils and binding chemicals dry out and the tire loses flexibility. I like them a lot and will be purchasing the same again.

RE760 has been phased out as they are ~10 yr old design. If you find any sellers that have them, they will be old stock. That's why the thread starter was asking for alternate suggestions.
    12 GT500 coupe
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I have read a lot of good reports on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Probably my next tire.

They are definitely cream of the crop but can be very expensive vs. the competitors in some sizes. I went with the Continental ExtremeContact Sport on my 2017 instead because the price was about $80 less per corner than the Michelins in the desired size, and they are probably 95% as good.
    12 GT500 coupe

Excellent Tire for my Fox, my son just installed a set on his GTi. He's waiting for warmer temps to get a better feel for them...

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    They are definitely cream of the crop but can be very expensive vs. the competitors in some sizes. I went with the Continental ExtremeContact Sport on my 2017 instead because the price was about $80 less per corner than the Michelins in the desired size, and they are probably 95% as good.

I have the Continentals on my G37s and although I like them I am not too fussy about the sidewall appearance.

How about the Copper zeon rs3? They are very affordable and according to my tire guy they are basically MT's since Copper owns Mickey Thompson.

I had a set on my 17 GT and they were great on the street, even did a track day with them and didn't have any issues.

Just last week i purchased a set of coppers for my Shelby's street wheels.
    My first choice was actually the Continental Extreme Contact sports, but they were out of stock in the 325/30/19 sizes so i went with the Coppers instead.
    In my opinion they are a really good deal and preform great for the street, but i do have a set of Michelin super sports on my OEM wheels for the track.