Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent adhesive for FG/ SMC??

Permanent adhesive for FG/ SMC??

I am looking for recommendations on an adhesive/ bonding compound for permanently adhering fibreglass to a factory bumper (SMC).

I have found 3M 08219 which looks to fit the bill well, I don't have the special caulking gun required however which makes it an expensive option
    https://nationalautobodywholesalers....pair-adhesive/

Does anyone have any experience in other options from Evercoat? 887 or 898 perhaps?

Any other recommendations?

Did you try contacting Bruce for his take?

3M 5200 is very popular in the boating world.. extremely strong. Dries white and flexes. Check it out.
    '88 LX

I have Rick, via text, haven't heard back from him yet.

HSousa88, that stuff looks great. Could very well be a solution. Will do some research to see if experience in automotive applications with SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I have Rick, via text, haven't heard back from him yet.

HSousa88, that stuff looks great. Could very well be a solution. Will do some research to see if experience in automotive applications with SMC
    Nothing takes a bigger beating than boats.. I’m positive it would work out for you. Good luck.
    '88 LX

Should have mentioned.. if you ever need to remove 3M 5200 for whatever reason.. your SOL.
    '88 LX

I have no doubt, but if it it doesn’t stick to a material in the first place...

TBH I would advise against this. Those materials expand and contract at different rates and trying to permanently bond them can lead to cracking down the road. Back in my import tuner body kit days the trick if you wanted something to never fall off but be removable to refinish and repair (as fiberglass can be pretty fragile) was to glass in some studs to the back of the glass piece and drill holes on the bumper to mount.

If you are dead set on bonding for your application, Evercoat has a product designed to bond corvette body panels that may be the ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Fair point Laffs, most of the products I have been looking at are not panel bonding adhesives, which seem to be fully rigid adhesives for metal panel installation. They are semi-rigid compounds
    http://www.evercoat.com/product-deta...ber/100887/us/

I have already considered the stud option, but perhaps should consider it again. Thanks for the information

thanks for the information Mike, after speaking with Bruce, it was recommended I go with what Laffs also mentioned, Evercoat Vette Panel adhesive and filler, which I have ordered. Appreciate the help everyone, will post up some pics of how it all turns out

Darrell