Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fan replacement options?

Nghtrdr

Question Cooling fan replacement options?

Good day TMC!

My 2000 GT cooling fan is on the way out. It had almost completely stopped at one point last season and I gave it a very good clean and blowout. She is working but seems weak as temps are high with ac on. My guess would be the brushes are done.

I have been searching and calling of local dc motor repair shops in the hopes of saving the oem fan but it seems no one rebuilds them. At least non I could find.

What are my options here? What's the best way to go to cool the beast and keep her happy?
    I plan to install a Mishimoto (unless theres a better brand to look at) rad in as well.
    Is there an option with a low speed fan for regular daily and a high speed secondary for ac or more aggressive driving?

Thanks for all the help
    Dan

When the fan went on my 96GT only the OEM would fit properly (I tried several aftermarket ones at the time). Give FastEd a call or send him a PM on a Ford Replacement.

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Unfortunately they are now obsolete from Ford. I even checked up to a 2004, they are a later number but those ones are gone as well. Would have to find an aftermarket replacement or used. NAPA or CARQUEST could supply a motor replacement maybe, or Rock Auto if you can't find anything up here?
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

Failure rate we've seen with the offshore replacements hovers at almost 100%.
    Two in a row on my own car, didn't make the 404 from my place with either one, replaced with OEM Ford when they were still available.
    If it was mine, would look for a used one.

Nghtrdr
    Thanks
    I already knew they were unavailable from Ford. I looked into it last year. Also rebuilding seems to be out.

Used it is I guess if I can find a good one

Nghtrdr
    Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I'd have a hard time resisting pulling it apart. Is it a sealed case? I've rebuilt a number of fiddly bits for my old Lexus, stuff that's no longer available. Clean ups and new bearings go a long way. With large industrial motors we re-insulated via a really big version of a sheep dip. That's not my department but I paid attention to what they were up to. The quality of insulation could be varied by the insulative coating applied. I was surprised how big a difference there was.
    Needs more than a cleanup. It needs new brushes. The bearing inside these are not bearings per say. They are brass bushings. Bearings can be installed but have to be welded in place as there is no way to press them in. The brushes are another story altogether. Finding the right ones can be a chore in of itself.

Be worth comparing a New Edge vs 197 fan side by side to see if a swaps feasible.

I stuffed a Taurus fan in my 04 mustang but was far from plug and play but pushes like 3800 cfm vs original 2000 cfm. I bought new after market Hopefully it lasts. I actually have an alarm stuffed into heater vent that goes off it coolant gets too high...ya tweaked way to many things...

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

Nghtrdr I had the same issue not cooling well with a/c on. So I installed a mishimoto rad and made a huge improvement. Have you checked your resistor on the fan housing, that ended up being my problem. Was only getting low speed fan.

Try Mustang Specialteaz in Georgetown for a used one.