Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  22

Thread: 2018-2020 Mustang GT reliability issues? Gen 3 Coyote

2018-2020 Mustang GT reliability issues? Gen 3 Coyote

I am thinking of buying a new left over 2019 or possibly 2020 Mustang GT 6-speed. The cash prices on some of these in Canada make them a better buy than going used.

Has there been any reliability issues with the Gen III coyote motor?

I prefer the 2015-2017 front facia, however I am not going to spend 90% of a new car price on a 3-5 year old vehicle.
    2022 Camaro 1LE M6
    Formerly: 2011 Mustang GT M6, 2015 Dodge Challenger 392 M6, 1999 Camaro SS M6, 2000 Mustang GT 5MT

Pretty damn reliable if you ask me. The 6 speed MT-82 still is a weak point in the transmission as long as you are not hammering on the transmission it should be fine. The motor has had the odd one with piston slap or ticking issues but for the most part it has been dead nuts reliable.

Mustang Occasionally
    When the 18’s first came out, there seemed to be a lot of hype about blown manual transmissions and motors. But I haven’t read or heard too much about it lately. We (Blackstock) took brand new 18’s and 19’s to the track and drove them hard with zero issues, both manuals and automatics.

You're good to go or we would all be hearing about Mustangs breaking down everywhere, but do yourself a favour though take an automatic for an hour drive and see what you think. The majority of the buyers here in Canada still don't know how the autos are nothing like the autos of old.
    The 6R80 and 10R80 have a huge wire harness hooked up to it so that means it's controlled by the computer, install a K&N drop in filter and custom tune to either a manual or auto Mustang GT and you'll have yourself a nice cruiser.

Good luck finding the Mustang you want and don't worry about issues because they're aren't any.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    Pretty damn reliable if you ask me. The 6 speed MT-82 still is a weak point in the transmission as long as you are not hammering on the transmission it should be fine. The motor has had the odd one with piston slap or ticking issues but for the most part it has been dead nuts reliable.
    I will add that once you add an MGW transmission mounted shifter it fixes most of the issues. I remember 18s had issues with bending the revised aluminum shift forks (15-17 had more durable steel forks) but haven’t heard much about the 19+ models.

I would strongly recommend looking for the performance pack models as they provide great value for the upgrade cost. Additional coolers, revised spring rates, bigger stabilizer bars, massive Brembo front brakes, and Torsen diff make that a must have in my books...plus you even get the additional centre gauges which look cool IMO.

Auto is faster overall, but stick is more fun (at least in my opinion). If you get a base GT, try to get a 301a package as you will get the mode switches and touch screen. Premium models add more luxury if that’s what you are after but add quite a bit to the bottom line.

Hope that helps.
    FABMAN

I have an 18 GT with the auto, PP1 and Magneride and everything has been great. Very comfortable, great handling, hauls ass and gets very good gas mileage as well.
    It is a great looking and performing car.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

Some Gen 3's tick once boosted.......nobody has been able to reliably determine why or from where.

Mine seems fine so far.

In a GT 18 plus I would always choose the 10R80. my car didn't come with that choice.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

I loved my 18 GT and had no issues with it as a year-round daily. The only reason I picked up my 19 SS to replace it was due to the mileage on the clock. I also like my Tremec more than the MT-82.
    You can't go wrong with the GT, it is reliable and fun.
    23 M240ix (daily) & modified 99 C5

Quote Originally Posted by DELZZZ View Post
    I loved my 18 GT and had no issues with it as a year-round daily. The only reason I picked up my 19 SS to replace it was due to the mileage on the clock. I also like my Tremec more than the MT-82.
    You can't go wrong with the GT, it is reliable and fun.
    How do you like the Camaro compared to the Mustang?

And thanks everyone for their input.
    2022 Camaro 1LE M6
    Formerly: 2011 Mustang GT M6, 2015 Dodge Challenger 392 M6, 1999 Camaro SS M6, 2000 Mustang GT 5MT