Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 to 2019 Mustang Class Action Lawsuit Involving the Getrag junk trans

2011 to 2019 Mustang Class Action Lawsuit Involving the Getrag junk trans

Thoughts fellow mustangers ?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Interesting to see where and how far this goes. Was mine crap? Yes it was. Did it fail? No it didn’t. But getting locked out gear the odd time was not fun. Grinding in second gear sucked.

A class-action lawsuit was filed today accusing Ford of selling Mustangs with bad transmissions. This applies to 2011-2019 Mustangs with MT82 or MT82-D4 manual transmissions. The plaintiffs say transmission defects cause Mustangs to slip, clash gears, jerk, and engage harshly. This leads to premature wear and ultimately transmission failure.

And they were nanufactured in china

No doubt a good number have seen problems but have driven a bunch of them that shift like butter.

Until you drive them hard

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

^
    I’ve experienced occasional high rpm lock out factory floating shifter , low rpm crunch in the morning trying to be quiet shifting low rpm 1st-2nd ,other than that no real complaints.
    Once mgw shifter went in it was golden- 160 k original clutch, all over the states, track days, pulls against “Corollas”” mini vans”- she takes a beating and keeps on ticking play how close u can get to redline lol , so ya it’s been driven hard occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

If I kept my car an MGW definitely would have went in. When I installed one years back in a members car it was golden.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrape View Post
    If I kept my car an MGW definitely would have went in. When I installed one years back in a members car it was golden.
    Ya Laurence, when Rick took out the old one factoryhad zip ties lol- mgw mounted your trans by arms- gives it that solid feel

Trans gets all the crap-maybe a better clutch would help things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Not really many complaints with mine since the MGW has been installed, even at high rpm. Yes I get the odd chatter or less than ideal engagement or slight nibble when cold but overall it’s fine.

IMO much of the issue resides in the stock divorced shifter setup. It’s flawed in design, coupled with “affordable material choices” in stock components = many of the issues being reported.

That said, the MT-82 has undergone several revisions (mostly quietly). The 13-14 have had several improvements over the 11-12. Was again revised and improved in 15-17 models to be a much better transmission. That said, I would prefer to have the Tremec from the Shelby but it is what it is...

The 18+ was again revised. 4th is now 1:1 (whereas 5th was 1:1 in 15-17 cars) and they had issues when they switched to the revised aluminum shift forks, not sure if that has been addressed as I don’t hear much about this issue in 19+ GTs.

Ford’s constant efforts to improve the transmission will illustrate willingness to address the issues voluntarily which will likely reduce the effectiveness of a settlement in cars that are MY 13+.

It’s for this reason that I don’t think the plaintiffs are in as strong a position as they think especially when you factor in how many owners flat out abuse these cars rather than just drive them hard. Also in today’s social media age, it wouldn’t take Ford defence lawyers long to assemble a library of abuse examples that likely led to many reported failures.
    FABMAN