Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  6

Thread: I'm either a genius or an idiot

I'm either a genius or an idiot

ex7900-1.jpg
    midpipe4.jpg
    I took the midpipe out of the hanger on the transmission, shown in the picture, and placed the exhaust hangers on top of that hanger bracket. I gained valuable ground clearance.

Ever since I lowered my fox I've had problems with the exhaust hitting the ground. short headers, bbk midpipe, magnaflow catback, all 2.5" I'm not going to custom weld it all in place, I need it to be modular and use clamps so I can take it on and off when I do repairs.

So either I found the fix everyone needs or have yet to realize this was a bad idea. But, if you struggle with exhaust scraping maybe you can use this!

If your hanger bracket still had the rubber isolators in good shape, with the way you have the pipe set now you would likely get more NVH coming through the car. But since it looks like your isolators are pretty narfed anyway, probably not much difference. So the exhaust gets tucked up another 1/2 to 3/4" I guess? No problems with interference on the floor pan or other parts?

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by m_owing View Post
    ...and placed the exhaust hangers on top of that hanger bracket. I gained valuable ground clearance.
    Pics?

edit: and all the other stuff Ed just said
    -Don____________

you could also shorten your exhaust hangers and slide it back in....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Pics?
    I didn't take any. Between all the swearing and hitting things with a hammer I never seem to think of pulling out my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    If your hanger bracket still had the rubber isolators in good shape, with the way you have the pipe set now you would likely get more NVH coming through the car. But since it looks like your isolators are pretty narfed anyway, probably not much difference. So the exhaust gets tucked up another 1/2 to 3/4" I guess? No problems with interference on the floor pan or other parts?
    cheers
    Ed
    These weren't my pics. My isolators are pretty ok. I misaligned one of the tailpipes and its bouncing off the subframe that's near the wheel well. And I think the 1/2" closer to the floor is making my 10 year old undercoating a little hotter and smell.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    you could also shorten your exhaust hangers and slide it back in....
    I'm not sure I can do this. The hangers are thick metal rods welded to the mid pipe.