Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Can even happen to low milers.

Can even happen to low milers.

Cobra diff we did yesterday. In spite of low miles, carrier bearings shedding bits which went through rest of the unit taking out gear set as well. Adding to the original problem, either pinion or bearing defective, bearing not close to fitting snug enough on the pinion n slid off with relative ease. Good news part, fresh set of 373s combined will all new bearings and seals n topped off by an uber sweet Torsen T2R. Dropping it back in this am, will make this sweet Cobra quiet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Case scrubbed clean, parts ready to assemble.
    Assembled n slid back into place, topping off with oil this am and exhaust back on and it'll be good to go.
    For anyone asking, to us, 3:73 is the perfect gear for a Cobra. Stock blower or not. just seems to make the whole driveline n engine happy no matter speeds or RPM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super jealous of the T2.

Curious to know how many miles? That looks terrible even for a high miler.
    -Don____________

Have to check but think around 40.
    Looks to have been assembled from new with far too much preload on the carrier bearings. Machining on the OE gear set is also not very pretty. Back in the day of doing lots of 99 up, saw a bunch at similar miles with similar issue.

I'm stealing the diff! idc!

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Found the same with my low klm 1998 Cobra diff. Was upgrading to 3.73's and found the bearings were toast. Was glad I was having it done before catastrophic failure.

T2R’s are so great!!

They certainly are. Was an awesome upgrade on my 07 GT (previous owner had done it, but I had driven the car on track before and after), and loving it so far in my 17 GT PP1.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with what "looks bad" on the gear set and carrier bearing. My untrained eye see's rollers in decent shape and can't ident the gear issue. Can you caption the photos with what to look for and educate me?

I have 3:55's in my IRS/T56 combo. I prefer lower RPM for highway cruising economy, lower shaft speed. I do miss the launch of the former 3:73's
    Rollers do look ok, gear set is chewed from debris n knife edged. Obviously cups from both carrier bearings chunking hard.