Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87-93 Replace Intake Gasket

87-93 Replace Intake Gasket

How much grief am I looking at replacing the 5.0L stock intake gaskets? My lower has been leaking for a long time. Just drips here and there. The leak has been bothering me since I got the car... The rear main seal is new

There is a felpro gasket set that has thick silicone for the front and back (instead of cheap cork) #MS93334
    Should I add some black rtv for insurance?

The 3rd post from this stangnet thread is pretty comprehensive:
    https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...askets.898862/
    But it says to use weatherstripping adhesive on the head-manifold gasket, does that mean cover the whole gasket, or just a couple spots?

I was going to get the injector orings and pintle caps also.

1. Any tips?
    2. I've done everything else myself, but should I get a shop to do this?
    3. How much should it cost?

Don’t use the rubber gasket at all, eliminate them and use a 1/4” bead of “the right stuff” by permatex.

I also prefer to use the steel core graphite coated intake gaskets over the felpro, but that is my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, toss the end seals and just use silicone, The Right Stuff is good, but I’m cheap and just use RTV with no issues. You don’t need to glue the gaskets, there are exposed corner tabs on the head gaskets they sit on, that and the RTV should hold them in place. While you’re in there change the pcv and screen, they’re a bit hard to do with the intake on the car.
    New rear main doesn’t mean much on a 302, I’d double-check that it’s actually the intake causing the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    New rear main doesn’t mean much on a 302...
    LMAO!!!! Funny because it’s true. It’s like they are designed for a certain amount of leakage. Ford will tell you it’s “normal”.
    -Don____________

I used the Felpro MS93334 intake gasket kit in 2007 with the silicone rubber end seals and a bead of silicone on each end corner of the seals.
    It hasn't leaked yet.

Buy 4,4inch long 5/16 bolts and cut the heads off to use as guide pins.
    Intake lines up right the first time and won't mess up a silicone bead if you ditch the rubber end seals.

Good luck not using guide pins.

Following method is what we use.

Remove intake n related parts.
    Scrape spotlessly clean, wipe all surfaces with lacquer thinners
    Small smear of 3M weather strip adhesive over gasket surface, place on cyl head, allow to fully cure (don't use too much glue, more is not better, just enough to cover surface).
    Bead of silicone on the front and rear rails (we don't use cork or rubber end seals). Small smear of silicone on bolt threads (on ones where bottom of the hole is open to the valley)
    Drop intake into place, using correct sequence, go around and around with torque wrench until the intake fully settles.
    Allow silicone to fully cure before firing up, done.
    We get at least one 5.0 in every 1-2 seasons where intake gaskets have slipped n either running poorly and or chugging oil.

Quote Originally Posted by LX89 View Post
    Buy 4,4inch long 5/16 bolts and cut the heads off to use as guide pins.
    Intake lines up right the first time and won't mess up a silicone bead if you ditch the rubber end seals.

Good luck not using guide pins.
    Thanks, guide pins are on my list

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    While you’re in there change the pcv and screen, they’re a bit hard to do with the intake on the car.
    New rear main doesn’t mean much on a 302, I’d double-check that it’s actually the intake causing the leak.
    Agreed, dripping oil was just a way of living for me!
    When I had the drivetrain out, the top of the back of the engine had oil. And the rear main was dry. It drips from the bottom of the bellhousing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    LMAO!!!! Funny because it’s true. It’s like they are designed for a certain amount of leakage. Ford will tell you it’s “normal”.
    Yeah, doesn't everyone travel with a large square of cardboard in their car to place underneath when they park?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    We get at least one 5.0 in every 1-2 seasons where intake gaskets have slipped n either running poorly and or chuggi
    Do you have to remove the dizzy? How much does it cost?

Yes remove.