Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new commuter car. Focus/civic/Mazda 3. If you have one of these pls comment!

Need a new commuter car. Focus/civic/Mazda 3. If you have one of these pls comment!

Hey Everyone,
    I’m looking to replaced my 2010 Ford Fusion. It’s starting to get a little tired and high in kms. It has been a great car with barely any issues. I drive about 115kms each way. I like the newer fusions but would like something better on fuel. So I have been looking at 2014 Ford Focus hatch, Honda Civic ex or Mazda 3 hatch. Cruise and auto are a must. A friend works for ford and says the transmission issues should be fixed with focus’s but I’m wondering if they are still an issue. I like the civics but I will really like a hatchback again. So much more versatile as specially for my kids hockey equipment. I really like the Mazda 3’s how they drive but I owned a Mazda years ago found parts where always expensive and lots dealer only.
    So if anyone has any insight or if you own any of the 3 and care to share what you like and don’t like that would be great! Thanks!
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

My daughter has a 2016 Honda Fit, large hatchback area, excellent gas mileage, zero repairs, only oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    A friend works for ford and says the transmission issues should be fixed with focus’s but I’m wondering if they are still an issue.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ssion-lawsuit/

If you can find a automatic Civic...that's the way I'd go...

Just saying... An Elantra is a great bang for your buck! Great on gas, tons of room and very reliable.

If interested I have one in storage with extremely low kms on it. Might be willing to sell

Personally I would not purchase the civic due to the fact that it will be the most expensive to ensure. Also I may be additionally bias but after having 2 Acura RDX models (2015 and 2017) I can tell you that Honda/Acura infotainment systems are terrible, slow and in bad need of a complete revamp.

I have had several Mazdas over the years including a 323, Mazda5, 2 Mazda6 V6s and they all proved to be good cars that were fun to drive. I think the Mazda3 would likely be my pick of the 3 but that said I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Elantra GT. Their sport version n line hatchback is a nice car for the money.

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/sho...ntra-gt-n-line

My brother in law has had Hyundai cars since 03 and they have all been great, long lasting cars and good on fuel.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by FABMAN; 06-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    FABMAN

Lots of room in the 2016 and up civic hatch. But 2016 was 1st year of a model change. Get one dealer service because there is lots of first year software bugs. Get the n/a 2L. There are some issues with the 1.5L turbo but mostly in the CRV’s. The CVT’s are decent now. Make sure the a/c works. They might have condenser issues.....
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Mustang Occasionally
    I’d stay away from the Focus with the ‘Power Shift’ automatic. Too many issues and a lot of unknowns even after the ‘fix’.

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    I’d stay away from the Focus with the ‘Power Shift’ automatic. Too many issues and a lot of unknowns even after the ‘fix’.
    I think I’ve about written off the focus now. I found more info about the ford lawsuit/settlement, so going to stay away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    Personally I would not purchase the civic due to the fact that it will be the most expensive to ensure. Also I may be additionally bias but after having 2 Acura RDX models (215 and 2107) I can tell you that Honda/Acura infotainment systems are terrible, slow and in bad need of a complete revamp.

I have had several Mazdas over the years including a 323, Mazda5, 2 Mazda6 V6s and they all proved to be good cars that were fun to drive. I think the Mazda3 would likely be my pick of the 3 but that said I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Elantra GT. Their sport version n line hatchback is a nice car for the money.

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/sho...ntra-gt-n-line

My brother in law has had Hyundai cars since 03 and they have all been great, long lasting cars and good on fuel.

Hope that helps.
    I had a 2015 or 16 Elantra for a rental car before. Hated it so much I took it back and got a Dodge Charger. Hated the steering feel, hit my head all the time on the window pillar and thought the seat where not comfortable.
    I had a Mazda protege5 before and loved it. I think Mazda does a great job with interiors. I sold it before it started to rust out. I found that most parts where more money compared to a Civic and Acura that I had.

The other car I like is the Acura ILX but from research I’ve done they aren’t anywhere near as good on fuel compared to the Civic and mazda3.

Mazda seems to be a decent choice.

I’ve always preferred something different as well as entertaining to drive

Absolutely love our 2016 Mini Cooper s
    Always dealer serviced. Just over 100k and never anything but oil changes.

Was a bit more than some of the others but puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.