Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Foxbody Convertible Motor Issue

Foxbody Convertible Motor Issue

Having an issue with my convertible top motor. I lowered the top and now the motor will not raise the top any longer. I hear the 2 solenoids clicking for up down, but no motor sound.
    Things I have done to diagnose so far;

- I disconnected the motor and measured the up/down voltage both measured at 12V.
    - I then removed the motor from the pump and connected it to the wire from the solenoids & ground lead. The pump turned on when the roof switch was pressed for up/down.

When I connect the motor to the pump, reconnect the ground and power wire. Try the up/down switch and no motor sound.

I have searched online and found an article stating that there is a fuse in the line from the battery to the solenoids that provides constant 12 V. I have not been able to find this fuse under the dash and there is no indication of where it might be. I'm guessing that if the motor does spin up when removed from pump then I have the necessary voltage at the solenoids.

Anyone run into similar issue's or can provide some additional help, before I order a new pump/motor.

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank You TMC!

sounds like the pump is seized if the motor works when off the pump
    can you turn the pump by hand?

Thanks,

after spending hours playing and looking at the issue, it appears there are multiple issue's

- found fluid in the motor housing, so one of the seals is bad. which is letting air in the system causing my motor to work harder.
    - after removing the motor and inspecting it closer fount the top plastic plate holding the brushes in place was not sitting flat.
    - the brush plate holder is easily pushed up from teh metal clips, so I adjusted the metal clips to ensure no movement.
    - found that one of the brushes was not moving freely so it was not making good contact as the brush wore down.
    - removed, cleaned, increase spring tension and now it moves freely.
    - the pump now works for a bit an quits, but I know there is a leak to the motor, so it hesitates and goes.

I found a spare pump (buddy replaced his as the motor burnt out and melted, so I'm going to try another pump and see how it goes.

if not I'll order the seal kits for the pump.

Thanks,

Nice progress.