Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier experts

Dehumidifier experts

My father has an old Eaton Viking 36 frost guard dehumidifier from the 70's.

When turned on the compressor will cycle on for 3 seconds and turn off then cycle on again after about 20 seconds for another 3 seconds,etc.
    Filter is clean and the fan runs with no issue.
    Took off the front cover and it's not dirty inside.

I took a temp sensor off the coils on the backside and nothing changed.
    After putting the sensor back on the coil it ran perfect for several hours with the compressor always engaged.
    It would eventually shut off and restart later.
    Coils were colder and more water was dripping off them so I don't think it's low on refrigerant

Then it started the 3 second compressor cycling on/off again.
    I can only see one sensor in the back.
    What's the likely issue and are parts available?

Maybe a bad electrical contact? Just a wild guess but maybe you twisted it just right putting it back on then it vibrated loose again.

Either a bad compressor or a bad relay on the side of the compressor. Relays are more likely and fairly universal based on compressor size.

If it’s the compressor time for new

Yesterday afternoon my father moved that sensor on the back coil to another position and it has been running normally ever since with no on/off compressor cycling at the time of this post.

Don't know how long will keep running normally.
    This thing is so old it has Robertson screws for the front cover and the rest might be Robertson which is a bonus and superior screw.

Made in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Either a bad compressor or a bad relay on the side of the compressor. Relays are more likely and fairly universal based on compressor size.

If it’s the compressor time for new
    When you say relay do you mean the dehumidifier humidistat,the switch that also turns it on and off?
    That is probably the issue.

Still available for an old machine like this and approximate cost?
    There is a number on it but I didn't write it down.

it sounded more like the relay right on the side of the compressor. but if you moved the other one and it started working than that could be your problem. no way to know without the model number if parts are available or not. but based on age id guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    it sounded more like the relay right on the side of the compressor. but if you moved the other one and it started working than that could be your problem. no way to know without the model number if parts are available or not. but based on age id guess not.
    It worked for several hours after moving the defrost sensor in front,then compressor cycles on off briefly.
    Moving that sensor may not be the issue as it worked for hours without the coils freezing up.
    Coils were cold with water dripping off like usual.

Eaton Viking 36 frostguard
    Model:ED36
    Type36Q-XVGAFO
    Serial:026011711EX

Humidistat switch.

Honeywell.
    H4600A 1103
    Last edited by LX89; 07-19-2020 at 01:50 PM.

website error that big grin should be a D ^^^
    wtf I didn't type that.

can't edit that big grin out
    Last edited by LX89; 07-19-2020 at 01:51 PM.

its hard to say. I would normally expect a bad humidistat to just quit. not cycle on and off like your describing.

most dehumidifiers have an auto off or float switch that shut them off when the water tank gets too full. so could be an issue with the float or the switch. Ive had some that just need to be opened up and given a really good cleaning.

when the compressor does the start stop thing. does it sound like its actually running or just a humming/buzzing sound then it turns off with an autable click. does the compressor get hot when it does this?

When it was running normally or not I pushed up on the float and it shut off.
    Did that several times and it always shut off so that works.

By memory I think it does make a click noise when the compressor shuts off.
    The fan keeps running when the compressor shuts off.
    Don't know if the compressor gets hot but the air coming out the front wasn't hot when it ran properly.

I took the big cover off the machine and it's not dirty inside and I blew the fins out and no dust came out.

It has worked normally for several hours or close to a day then starts acting up again.
    When it works the compressor stays engaged,coils are cold and lots of water is dripping off them so the compressor should be ok.

Seems to be a intermittent/electrical issue that's driving me crazy,lol.
    Are parts still available for this machine?