Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier experts

I could find not parts listing. other than universal stuff.

every compressor has a relay and capacitor that help it start.

they are pretty much universal

https://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_URCO410

for the 25-30 bucks it might be worth putting one on and seeing if that fixes you up.

https://youtu.be/RamyqjqeLXA

make sure you remove both the relay and the old capacitor new kit has it all built in.

Looks like that compressor relay is the problem.
    Ran it last night until it started cycling on and off.

When it clicked you could see a blue spark at the base of the relay cover.
    Is that relay in the link plug and play with no cutting,splicing wires or different connectors?

you cut off the two wires to the existing relay and wire nut them to the two wires on the new part (dosnt mater which wire). and then attach the 3 wires to the compressor pins.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    you cut off the two wires to the existing relay and wire nut them to the two wires on the new part (dosnt mater which wire). and then attach the 3 wires to the compressor pins.
    Took the cover off the compressor relay and took off the relay to see the pin layout yesterday.
    Relay says Embraco and the compressor is probably the same,(no label).

There's 4 wires going to the relay.(not sure if a capacitor you mentioned above is built into the relay-I see nothing else besides the relay)

2 white wires are connected together by a dual spade connector and connect to a spade terminal at the top of the relay.
    1 white and 1 black wire are connected the same way and connect to a spade terminal at the bottom of the relay.

I'm no electric whiz,but it looks like I can attach 2 male spade connectors to the 2 black power wires on the 3 n 1 relay and connect to those double spade connectors and not cut any wires.

Compressor pin position is a V layout.
    Found out how to check for common,start,run.
    top right pin to bottom pin-6.1 ohms
    top left pin to bottom pin-1.4 ohms
    top pin to top pin-7.3 ohms
    Came up with this.

R S
    C

Sound good?
    Haven't bought the new relay yet.

no compressor manufacture gives a specific Ohm reading. you want to make sure you have a reading between each of the pins. which you have.

and NO continuity between any pin and ground (one of the copper lines will work)

the 4 wires, one will be power one will be neutral and two will go to the capacitor. (sometimes they were mounted off the compressor, if you trace them back you should be able to determine which is which. capacitor is usualy a cylinder with two wires out the top.

if you use a kit like the one I posted you can remove this completely and just wire to the power and neutral.

there is really no way to test a compressor other than above, so if it checks out then I put on an start relay kit and see what it does.

if your apt (and based on the winding checks I would guess yes) you can check your amperage depending on age and size of compressor you might se a 10-12 amp spike on start and it should level off and run a .5-2 amps (again depending on age and size)

compressor should have size on the sticker or you can math it if you feel so inclined. E over I/R

Took a look at the wires.
    One power white wire coming off extension cord goes directly to the fan.The second goes to the relay.

Neutral white goes to a light and a black wire goes to this light then to the float switch.
    Light turns on when it's full of water.
    This light is long and round.

Larger black wire on neutral white goes to defrost switch on the coils.
    Beats me.
    This thing is getting frustrating.

Any chance there isn't a remote capacitor and it's part of the comp relay?
    This thing is likely from the 70's.

its possible. but hard to say without looking at it any way you can post a pic of the relay and the wires going to it?

I don't have a camera or even know how to post pics that aren't on the internet.

Relay says Embraco and there's a sticker that says FSP 1156815.
    Top of the relay has just under 1/2" inch high and 3/4" wide of exposed copper coil windings.

This website says not all electric motors have a capacitor.
    Will that 3 n 1 kit still work if no capacitor was there in the first place?

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/M...r_Location.php