Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric fan recommendations - Foxbody with modmotor

Electric fan recommendations - Foxbody with modmotor

5-20 years ago it seemed that the early 90's Tarurus fan or the late 90's dual Contour fan was the way to go. Any other suggestions on what to use these days? Mark VIII fan?
    I looked at S197 fans, but they are too tall. Any other recommendations on what to use?

Ford Motorcraft Taurus fan is available on Rockauto for $100
    Only aftermarket brands of Contour available on Rock Auto
    LMR has the Contour fan, but does not list if it is NOS or aftermarket (which leads me to believe it is aftermarket).

I haven't found flow data for the Taurus, Contour flows 3,500 CFM

I have a 04 Cobra computer with Ron Francis wiring kit which has fan control, fan wired via a relay. I believe I will add a heavy duty relay such as
    http://www.texasindustrialelectric.c...0332002156.asp

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

The contour fan keeps coming back as the highest CFM when I look into it.

This fan is available locally too.
    https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...-fan-assembly/

It is aftermarket, so I can't speak to the quality, but it is brand new. This will most likely be my plan once I decide to ditch the old faithful clutch fan.

As for the controller, it seems the contour fan blows fuses and trips most fan controllers. The startup current draw is very high. I don't know enough about the controller you linked. But I did find this: http://www.dccontrol.com/Multispeed.htm

They are apparently made to order (read: wait time) but they have one that will control ford high amp, dual speed fans. They also sell the loom connector specifically for the contour.

While the DCC controllers do work well, the wait to get one can be lengthy. Installed a number of them with only one failure.

Just used one of these high amp units from Spal on our GT40 build, seems like a quality piece.

https://www.holley.com/products/cool...s/parts/FRH-HO

Decided to go with a Contour fan (with Bosch motor) and an 80 amp relay. All installed and running great. Operating both fans together via the Ron Francis controller

Seeing significant improvement in operating temperatures since completing the install, but have only had moderate driving. Will be interested to see how the next track day goes with it

Great to hear. I have a lot of questions...

Fan:
    Where'd you get the fan? It's the dual fan/dual speed fan? Does it normally come with bosch motors?

Controller:
    Which Ron Francis controller did you get? How does it measure temp? (rad probe, threaded intake tap, etc)

From the research I did, FMC fans were supplied with Bosch motors, I sourced a used one via ebay

I am operating both fans as one, so only single speed fan arrangement (both on, both off)

I have a Ron Francis harness for the motor conversion, it includes the fan controller. Fan turns on and off via the ECU and was programmed to turn on/ off when i had the car in for tuning
    http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MK%2D97A

That's very cool. Does the single 80amp relay you got work for both fans? I didn't realize based on your first post how the aftermarket wiring harness incorporated the fan controller. I do now though!

I saw your car in another thread it looks great, and the setup is awesome. I just ordered a mishimoto rad, probably the same as yours, direct fit for fox.

Did you consider a delay between when the first and second fan turn so there isn't a huge current draw on your system when they turn on?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    Did you consider a delay between when the first and second fan turn so there isn't a huge current draw on your system when they turn on?
    Was a thought if need be, but doesn't seem to be a requirement. Have seen no voltage fluctuation when the fans turns on/ off