Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  110
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaving the hobby rant...

Foxstang

Leaving the hobby rant...

Been a while for a Grade-A rant... As you know I'm selling my foxes (one gone, another to go) and soon all my spare parts and other fox related accessories. And I've done this once before but this time is very different.

It's an unhealthy habit for me:

It's a drug! I felt an overwhelming shame the last few times I put money in my 87, recently an $850 hood. On my way to pick it up, I was thinking "what is wrong with me, why am I doing this?". I sunk so much money into this car and yet I put 3,000km in just over 5 years. I put so much time into this thing, absorbing fuel, oil, rust particles, grime and god-knows-what and for what? I put like 6k into this car during the pandemic alone. I was obessive about it, always looking for a stronger high (more parts). I can't even take a shit without being on marketplace looking for parts or on lmr.com...

Driving for me sucks now:

My notch drives TIGHT, lots of power, handles better than my 2017 performance pack ever did. It's a foxbody that anyone would freaking love to own and I finally have something that is a blast to drive. That's what's breaking the camel's back right now for me. Driving isn't fun for me anymore. I'm scared to even break traction these days. Hell I rarely even break the speed limit now lol And this is the guy who LOVED breaking his own speed records on the 407 LOL. So if I drive like an old man now, what's the point in having a car like this? My ecoboost truck is more than enough power for what I do (I don't even like sport mode). I actually enjoy a short rip @ Boundary Road in my truck (off-road) than I do a rip in the fox these days.

Car shows:

I admit, I am sad that the big shows are canned this year (Thanks Chinese government). But thinking about it - car shows aren't that exciting for me anymore anyway. Walk around, hot as hell, watch people point defects and tell me "I should put the battery in the trunk" (which I did this year lol) and have the same conversations over and over again. Meh, I'd rather be in the pool, drinking some beer and talking about "good ol days" with close friends.

Family hates the fox:

The other thing is my wife hates the car, she loved the 2017 and is totally ok with me getting something newer (when the situation permits again). But we go for rips in the fox, she is visibly miserable in the thing with no AC and my kid is whining that there's too much wind sitting in the back seat lol And I just feel bad for torturing my family so I can row through gears. I'm spending time and money and being 110% selfish. I want to get back into music, mountain biking and other things we can enjoy as a family. We are getting a pool next summer, mix that with the hottub and general outside setup we have, it's much nicer to just be at home.

Community isn't the same anymore (not this one, mind you):

I witness a bunch of nonsense, to the point where I left ALL facebook groups save for my own and just generally stay away from those smaller car shows. There are people who can afford amazing mint foxes and the same people will put everyone down that doesn't have such a ride or if they feel you got "ripped off". They're more than happy to mess with your reputation based on their own ego, talk behind your back, post shit about you and your rides - who needs this? I don't judge my life based on how clean of a toy car I own. To be honest, I think it's stupid to put so much money on an 80's car like that. I'd put a little more and get something real nice like an R8, or Corvette or something worth driving (that's just me, no offence). But I'm not going to point fingers, my thinking is if you're happy, that's awesome! Thumbs up! I don't generally care - Just don't push your thinking on me or cause shit, and we be friends.

Can't get back into it again:

The positive thing is, once out, I'm out for good. I can't afford to build another notch like I have. I did the math, even with some used parts. It would cost between $30,000 to $37,000 replicate this car (which I'd sell for 20, maybe even 19.5). I don't have the money to do this all over again, and if I get back into a very high paying job - I won't be allowed to afford it anyway and I think (hope) I learnt my lesson.

Conclusion:

I loved my foxes, they will always hold a special place but it's time to look at them from a far and enjoy the memories I created in the past instead of trying to relive them. Circumstances forced to think about it like the cost, the addiction, some bad apples and the outcome is clear as day. Get out, enjoy life and try to be a better person by focusing on what's really important. Don't worry, I'll still rant and help people with fox related questions. My online magazine is being sold as well.

Steve, do what makes you happy. Life's to short to live miserable.
    Take care and enjoy what life's to bring to you next.
    Don't be a stranger around here.

You've out grown the Fox so it's time to buy something your whole family will enjoy not just you, I was a huge Fox fan but now I have no use for one because my 11 GT does what I need it to do and lots more.

The millennials are here and some are into cars but they are nothing like us older guys, they constantly need attention.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Mustang Occasionally
    When I got rid of my last Foxbody and went newer, it was the best decision for me. My 2015 is 5 years old now and it’s just such a good all around car. I love a nice clean Fox or any older car, really, but I just don’t have the time, inclination or patience to maintain them. My car now I just get in and go. Top down, top up, nice calm cruise, sometimes a bit more enthusiastic with the shift paddles in track mode, or a fun day of tracking full out. A/C, cooled comfortable seats... Nope, no complaints.

Foxstang
    yeah my wife is still mad I opted to keep the notch versus the 2017 GT. She may have been right in hindsight.

I really enjoy my little Ranger, wish I got the higher end Sport model with leather interior but it does the job pretty well.

Hey Steve, I can relate to all of your thoughts and beliefs regarding the car hobby. I have to restrain my self from spending money into upgrading my foxbody. I do constantly scour Kijiji and LMR and other suppliers for different wheels or a carb upgrade, different springs or shocks, adding a scoop to the hood, even considered changing to EFI motor....it's addicting I know!!!

There's been a few times when I get pissed off at life and want to sell everything I own and move to a small house in a small town near the ocean. Reality is I've wanted a 82-85 GT and I've been lucky the last few years to own a few. Nothing like driving a car that takes you back to some good old days when you were young and had very few worries....

My current Fox is an 85 GT with T-Tops and doesn't really anything. My daughters actually like going for a ride in it and tolerate the wind noise and rough ride. They love the 80's tunes as we cruise too.

Hey! later on if you need a Fox Fix, give me call and you can take my 85 GT for a cruise. I really hope you enjoy what ever you decide on doing. Life is too short to be miserable.

Cheers mon ami!
    Joe

You are WAY too obsessive to own a Fox. And I mean that in a nice way, your builds make me drool and miss my old notch.

I hear you about building a nice, good handling machine and be scared that the cops will take it if you let loose. There’s an easy solution to that: track day.
    -Don____________

All the best as you turn the page in life. I understand what you're saying and can fully appreciate it. I think I went through a similar thought process when I decided to sell my blown s197 and buy a classic.

Good luck to you sir and remember you don't need to have a car to still be a "car guy".

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    When I got rid of my last Foxbody and went newer, it was the best decision for me. My 2015 is 5 years old now and it’s just such a good all around car. I love a nice clean Fox or any older car, really, but I just don’t have the time, inclination or patience to maintain them. My car now I just get in and go. Top down, top up, nice calm cruise, sometimes a bit more enthusiastic with the shift paddles in track mode, or a fun day of tracking full out. A/C, cooled comfortable seats... Nope, no complaints.
    love my 2015 as well.started in a Fox body and worked my way up.Increasingly better year after year,no complaints!!

2019 Roush Race Red RS3 Mustang GT
    2019 White Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Ltd
    2019 Chevy Equinox AWD

My stance has always been:

If you love your car while you stare at it in the garage completely dust and lint free under a cover - awesome
    If you don't give a rats ass about cleanliness but love your car as you thrash it around the road course - awesome
    If you could give a flying fuck about going left or right but love your car as you rip it 1320ft at a time - awesome
    If have the most speed, handling, cleanliness all be damned its just a love of your car on a good cruise - awesome
    If it's more headache than joy - ship it

If the car makes you more guilty than happy its not the right fit. I think every guy on here has experienced a part of the scenarios you discussed. Lifes too short to pigeon hole yourself as just being "fox guy" if that does not make you happy. Maybe theres a another ride that will, or maybe you'll find you enjoy that the cars are better as a memory and theres other experiences to have. Best thing is at the end of the day you can enjoy a lot of the fun parts of the hobby without needing the wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate