Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: VIN number questons

VIN number questons

Hey guys - So I've been doing some digging on one of my cars - as it looks like the VIN has been tampered with.... Is there anywhere on the body that the full VIN may have been recorded?

I know that the fender tags have the serial number of the car - But in order to run the car through a database - I'd need to full VIN to do it.

there are no door stickers

I'd like to hand the VIN to the local RCMP detachment - because if the car is stolen - I'd rather do the right thing.

and currently - the fender tag does NOT match the VIN plate.
    Last edited by 88 hatchback; 07-30-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added details

The VIN plaque on the dash
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    The VIN plaque on the dash
    I understand that - the thing is - that tag... doesn't match the 6 digit serial number that is written on the fender. (as I understand it) the 6/7 digit serial numbers are printed on the fender tag (drivers side). But what I'd like to know is - are there any other full VIN codes located on the body.

I just want to make sure that I'm not in possession of a stolen car.

TLDR: Bought a car - VIN tag was attached with silicon - it doesn't match the serial number on the fender.

steve.edgerton
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 hatchback View Post
    I understand that - the thing is - that tag... doesn't match the 6 digit serial number that is written on the fender. (as I understand it) the 6/7 digit serial numbers are printed on the fender tag (drivers side). But what I'd like to know is - are there any other full VIN codes located on the body.

I just want to make sure that I'm not in possession of a stolen car.

TLDR: Bought a car - VIN tag was attached with silicon - it doesn't match the serial number on the fender.
    May be a stupid question but could you run the window tag and then compare that with your car and see if it all matches. It should tell you year make colour and options If it doesn’t match your car then you would know something was up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 86 Capri
    Vin tag on dash, 2 steel Buck tags on rad core support, metal plates under fender, door, transmission, engine block
    Not positive but thought there is one on subframe?

Possibility is that your car could have had front end damage, tags changed.(as your tag has been silicone)
    Or, the worst case is that someone has changed your tag as car was stolen. Usually the rivets for vin tag are called Rosebuds(look similar to a flower)
    Hopefully its not!
    Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by steve.edgerton View Post
    May be a stupid question but could you run the window tag and then compare that with your car and see if it all matches. It should tell you year make colour and options If it doesn’t match your car then you would know something was up
    I have the ownership for the dash VIN tag - But comparing that tag to the serial number on the fender tag - they don't match.

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    by fender tag, are you referring to the tags on the chassis under the fenders?
    Yes, the one on the drivers side on early foxes has the 6 digit serial number from the cars VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedoc View Post
    On my 86 Capri
    Vin tag on dash, 2 steel Buck tags on rad core support, metal plates under fender, door, transmission, engine block
    Not positive but thought there is one on subframe?

Possibility is that your car could have had front end damage, tags changed.(as your tag has been silicone)
    Or, the worst case is that someone has changed your tag as car was stolen. Usually the rivets for vin tag are called Rosebuds(look similar to a flower)
    Hopefully its not!
    Goodluck!
    I'm going to pull the rad next week and look for any tags there - The motor and trans are going to be no help - as they are not original to the car (as far as I'm aware) it's got a C4 and a dirty old 302 in it.

The VIN tag has the rosebud rivets on it - but like I said, it was just attached to windshield mount with silicon.

If I can't find a full VIN to run on the car - I'm not sure what my options are. I've already spoken to the RCMP - and right now, running a partial VIN isn't a priority for them - they've said if I can find the full one, then they can run it.

Buck tag on the rad support next to the driver headlight is where I would start.

Maybe it was re-vinned to avoid Drive-clean. I heard that there was a lot of that going on......

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Buck tag on the rad support next to the driver headlight is where I would start.

Maybe it was re-vinned to avoid Drive-clean. I heard that there was a lot of that going on......
    This is a BC car - so no drive clean requirement.

As far as I've been able to learn - there's only the vehicle serial number printed anywhere else on the car - not the full VIN code. (as the VIN code pertains to year, model, features, etc) that are selected after the chassis is assembled....

Which unfortunately means, unless I call the insurance provider to run the partial vin (Read: Serial number) I won't be able to find out any details on what or where it came from. Further, because VIN tampering is illegal across Canada - they're going to seize the car immediately.

Ultimately, this car is going to end up going to the crusher.

Which isn't terrible.... given the shape that it's in. (it's full of rust)

Quote Originally Posted by 88 hatchback View Post
    This is a BC car - so no drive clean requirement.

As far as I've been able to learn - there's only the vehicle serial number printed anywhere else on the car - not the full VIN code. (as the VIN code pertains to year, model, features, etc) that are selected after the chassis is assembled....

Which unfortunately means, unless I call the insurance provider to run the partial vin (Read: Serial number) I won't be able to find out any details on what or where it came from. Further, because VIN tampering is illegal across Canada - they're going to seize the car immediately.

Ultimately, this car is going to end up going to the crusher.

Which isn't terrible.... given the shape that it's in. (it's full of rust)

If you don't have a tonne of $$$ in it, you can do pretty well parting it off.
    Or sell it complete to someone that parts them.