Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: foxbody bumper cosmetics

foxbody bumper cosmetics

Just wondering - does anyone have any insight to a good product to use to fill in cosmetic damage on a fox bumper?

After doing a LOT of searching - I'm not able to find a replacement for mine - and I'd like to see if I can at least do some of the prep work before it gets primed and painted (saving myself some labor hours in the process)

My 84 LX bumper has some pretty good nicks and dings in the belt line in the front - as well as the top half of the grill is cracked and separated.

Quote Originally Posted by 88 hatchback View Post
    Just wondering - does anyone have any insight to a good product to use to fill in cosmetic damage on a fox bumper?

After doing a LOT of searching - I'm not able to find a replacement for mine - and I'd like to see if I can at least do some of the prep work before it gets primed and painted (saving myself some labor hours in the process)

My 84 LX bumper has some pretty good nicks and dings in the belt line in the front - as well as the top half of the grill is cracked and separated.
    I used Evercoat 870 Vette panel adhesive and filler. Excellent product

bondo hair and bondo glass are resin with pieces of fibreglass mixed in. One of those might work for the crack depending on how bad. Sanding and regular body filler might work for the nicks and dings you describe.

There is a thing called plastic welding - I personally have never done it - at one time there was people around that could do this maybe try to locate a plastic welder at a body shop that could fix the crack - at Napa and places alike (maybe Carquest) or other body work suppliers there is a 2 part resin in a tube, that mixes like apoxy designed to work on plastic bumper covers - I've also had luck with thin coats of spot putty (very thing for small blemishes) - I will post the name of the resin later just slips my mind now....those plastic bumper covers are tough to work with best of luck!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I used Evercoat 870 Vette panel adhesive and filler. Excellent product
    I did pick some of this up - I'm going to give it a shot on monday - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by m_owing View Post
    bondo hair and bondo glass are resin with pieces of fibreglass mixed in. One of those might work for the crack depending on how bad. Sanding and regular body filler might work for the nicks and dings you describe.
    I'm hesitant on using any "hard" fillers on the front bumper - Urethane tends to have a decent amount of flex to it - so I'm not sure if they would really adhere over longer periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    There is a thing called plastic welding - I personally have never done it - at one time there was people around that could do this maybe try to locate a plastic welder at a body shop that could fix the crack - at Napa and places alike (maybe Carquest) or other body work suppliers there is a 2 part resin in a tube, that mixes like apoxy designed to work on plastic bumper covers - I've also had luck with thin coats of spot putty (very thing for small blemishes) - I will post the name of the resin later just slips my mind now....those plastic bumper covers are tough to work with best of luck!
    I'm thinking I'm going to look into this as well - I've got some minor grill separation that I need to address as well. I'm thinking plastic welding in addition to having some hot metal driven in for reinforcement.

Just saw this on Facebook. also available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SD7XR4P/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Quote Originally Posted by 88 hatchback View Post
    I'm hesitant on using any "hard" fillers on the front bumper - Urethane tends to have a decent amount of flex to it - so I'm not sure if they would really adhere over longer periods of time.

I'm thinking I'm going to look into this as well - I've got some minor grill separation that I need to address as well. I'm thinking plastic welding in addition to having some hot metal driven in for reinforcement.
    Are the bumpers urethane? Bondo glass uses a polyester resin. It's tricky, like you mentioned, you want flex but also adherence. You can rough up the surface to give the product more to bond with. If your grille is cracked and separated, and you want to 'push' it back together then it seems like you have a good plan with the plastic weld or staples. I used bondo hair or glass on my cracked spoiler. I wasn't clamping it together though, just filling in the cracks. It was cheap, easy and effective.