Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember much about carbs?

Anyone remember much about carbs?

My 66 has a 302 with a 2bbl. The carb is an Autolite 2100 and is a whopping 287 CFM.

The car runs well and has great throttle response but can't get out of its own way. Someday, I'll pull the engine and do a mild street build but in the meantime I wondered if adding an aluminum intake and a 500 CFM carb is worth the trouble.

A newer design dual plane alum intake plus a decent carb is a good upgrade. Be sure to buy one that is easily adapted to linkage for your auto trans.

That was an upgrade I wanted to do on my 2nd 67 Cougar. My first Cougar already had the 4bbl and I noticed the difference, not so much when you are driving leisurely, but when you stomp the pedal way more acceleration.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

What I remember about carbs is that they are basically a gasoline toilet.

Grew up with them but EFI is way better.
    Rebuilt more than a few carbs in the past including lawn mowers.

A 600cfm 4 barrel carb and intake in your case would be a big improvement.

Check with some old time style garages or rod shops for guys still into carb work.
    Some still know the older carb guys that are still around, usually working in their garages at home on new carb installs bought for hot rods and street cars.
    Found a name from Jim's Speed Shop here in London a year ago, but can't find it now. Call store old guy is chatty & friendly.

My vote would be a holley sniper kit.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Al if you decide to go with carb rebuild the GHMA guys often use Vic Matkars carbdr1@yahoo.ca

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

Although we still rebuild / install a number of carbs every season, second Ross's vote for Holley Sniper. Done a few of them now, excellent results with all of em plus retains the carb type look under the hood.

Just installed a sniper to a jeep - that 4.2 ltr 6 runs mint and sounds mean with the Headman Header - you will need to upgrade to an electric fuel pump - install the o2 sensor - remove mechanical fuel pump and plug opening - a little pricey but will run awesome - no tuning necessary but it can be tweaked with the right distributer
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Although we still rebuild / install a number of carbs every season, second Ross's vote for Holley Sniper. Done a few of them now, excellent results with all of em plus retains the carb type look under the hood.
    Rick have you noticed that when you do a sniper install on a car with a big cam, that you lose some of that nice choppy lope sound at idle? I've read some reviews about this "issue".
    Rich