Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it leaking oil???

Why is it leaking oil???

So my 2014 V6 3.7 is leaking oil. Not a lot but it’s leaking. Didn’t hit 20k on the odometer yet(almost at 19900). It’s leaking where the transmission mates to the engine above the oil pan. Sorry I don’t have pics.

I’ll tell you about the car so you have some perspective.

Bought it from a used car dealership August 2019 and the odometer read 12945 when I drove it off the lot. Dealership did an oil change on it before I picked it up. Don’t know what brand oil was used but there was a new Fram oil filter on there (I had seen the car the previous week and there was a different filter). Previous owner did 1 oil change at 8k which is the interval for these cars.

Drove to Montreal in October 2019 for thanksgiving and my nephews birthday.

I changed the oil when it hit 16k in November 2019 to get it back to the 8k interval. Used a Mobil 1 oil filter and Mobil 1 EP 5w20. Inspected underneath the car. Nothing. No oil leaks. Very little rust as the car was rustproofed twice by the previous owner at a Krown location. Car was fine.

Come spring this year, when changing back to summer wheels, I noticed some oil residue on the oil pan between the bell housing and motor. Not a lot. Just a little. Wasn’t sure what to make of it. Cleaned the area to see if it came back.

Last week, while installing the Steeda jacking rails, I noticed more oil again. Same amount. Just a little bit. It doesn’t drip onto the driveway as I’m always parked on pink inter locking bricks so I’d notice an oil stain.

Changed the oil today, same Mobil 1 EP 5w20 with a new drain plug. Cleaned up the area thoroughly.

I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it still leaks. Never had any issues until I changed to Mobil 1.

I was thinking it was the rear main seal but the engine is way too new for that to happen. I’ve only read of that happening to 1 person with the same motor and S197. Every other oil leak seems to be due from high mileage cars or leaking from somewhere else.

Did a lot of reading this evening, while I doubt it’s the rear main seal however it’s possible, I think it’s Mobil 1. Read a few people mention that it tends to leak through seals on however those were higher mileage than mine. It’s also possible Mobil 1 and the weight aren’t working out too well on this motor. I mean it is a 6 year old car.

You guys are more knowledgeable than me on these cars. Only had this car for a year so I’m still learning about it. What oil and weight should I try to see if it remedies the issue. Heard good things about Royal Purple and Amsoil for oil. Also what would be a good filter to pair with it?
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

For what it’s worth, 10W30 full synthetic, whatever is on sale, in my 06 GT. Didn’t burn a drop nor leak after 170000km. Roush supercharged motor swapped in four years ago, still running the 10W30 with the same results (over 180000km on the clock now).

Most likely rear main seal. Cars are never “too new” to have failures like that, dealer techs fix new cars every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Most likely rear main seal. Cars are never “too new” to have failures like that, dealer techs fix new cars every day.
    Yes it’s possible but I’m hoping it’s not. It’s a cheap part but not a cheap job to fix.

Check the PCV system.
    If that's restricted it will build up pressure in the crankcase and cause oil leaks.

So many people have replaced gaskets without checking the PCV system and still had oil leaks afterwards.

Example,foxbody 5.0 lower intake manifold has a screen under the PCV valve that get's plugged up/restricted over time causing an increase in crankcase pressure resulting in oil leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by LX89 View Post
    Check the PCV system.
    If that's restricted it will build up pressure in the crankcase and cause oil leaks.

So many people have replaced gaskets without checking the PCV system and still had oil leaks afterwards.

Example,foxbody 5.0 lower intake manifold has a screen under the PCV valve that get's plugged up/restricted over time causing an increase in crankcase pressure resulting in oil leaks.
    It’s clean. Not much in it. Cleaned it anyways while it was out. I should buy a catch can at some point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    For what it’s worth, 10W30 full synthetic, whatever is on sale, in my 06 GT. Didn’t burn a drop nor leak after 170000km. Roush supercharged motor swapped in four years ago, still running the 10W30 with the same results (over 180000km on the clock now).
    I’ve heard of people running 5w30 but don’t think anyone mentioned 10w30.

Am I reading your post right, this car has only had 3 oil changes in 20k? and is a 2014?

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Am I reading your post right, this car has only had 3 oil changes in 20k? and is a 2014?
    That’s correct.

Autotrader ad at the bottom. Odometer when I stopped for Timmies down the street of the dealership.

A1429E5C-5F75-43E1-9521-E63C4B0F7C8D.jpeg

Not trying to tell you what to do. But you should be changing the oil way more frequently. At LEAST once a year in my opinion.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'