Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating a non insulated garage?

Foxstang

Heating a non insulated garage?

Hi all, I have to do some carpentry projects and moved my basement workshop to the garage because wife didn't appreciate me banging up walls bringing lumber into the basement and finished projects out lol I have roughly a 30x25x15 garage, 3 doors and a man door on the side. I don't have the budget to insulate and drywall and install a proper heating unit (gas or electric) so I need a quick and dirty means to heat this beast up temporarily. So I'm thinking a construction heater and keep a garage door and side door open and install a Co2 alarm.

I mean it would be nice to at least close part of the garage to make a workshop room and insulate that but I have no clue how long we will live here, and I doubt a fully insulated garage will bring any value to the house.

So, anyone work with such construction propane heaters?

if your going out and buying new a shop heater isnt that much more than a good construction heater. and far far safer. I had one installed at the old place last winter. gonna say it was about 1500 all in.

try hitting up kijiji, see if you can score something used.,

Burns cleaner vs what you'd think plus cheap to use (BBQ tank refill Costco).

SlipperyVic
    What I did in my old place was I used vapor barrier sheets to isolate my working area from the rest of the garage and that made keeping it warm much much easier.

I would use a propane salamander type heater for a couple of mins to warm the place up. Once warm I'd drop the sheets and just use a 1500w electric heater in the smaller working area to maintain the temp. Worked pretty well.

Foxstang
    Thanks guys, I just called an electrician to come and quote me on running a 6/3 cable to the garage to put a small 40 or 60amp sub so I can plug in an electric heater... Needs to be done anyway with electric cars and whatnot so not a waste of money I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Foxstang View Post
    Thanks guys, I just called an electrician to come and quote me on running a 6/3 cable to the garage to put a small 40 or 60amp sub so I can plug in an electric heater... Needs to be done anyway with electric cars and whatnot so not a waste of money I guess...
    240v electric heater might work, no 120v is gonna do much besides take a little bit of chill out of a non insulated space like that in addition to sending your electric bills in to stratosphere. my 16x24 was non insulated when I bought it, I tried a couple 120v heaters and they all still needed me to be wearing gloves and layers to work out there for any extended period. After insulating walls, ceiling, and replacing my old steel door with an insulated unit a 120v electric keeps it to where I can turn it on a couple hours before I want to work in there comfortably in a sweater and no gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I literally just started insulating my garage yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by 1986stangfan View Post

good idea - i've been dreading drywall...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Foxstang View Post

I originally bought a pair of 240V heaters, cost to operate was in freakin sane.
    Heater I posted above, hours n hours n hours of big heat on a BBQ tank. Even with the doors closed, has not so much as tickled the stinky air meter. They typically go on sale at Princess Auto in the $160 range but even full list is a bargain. I saw 5yrs or so of daily use out of my original one before replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986stangfan View Post

I’d check local codes. Pretty sure foam Doesn't meet any of the requirements for vapour sealing or fire rating required for garage wall material.