Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heating a non insulated garage?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    I’d check local codes. Pretty sure foam Doesn't meet any of the requirements for vapour sealing or fire rating required for garage wall material.
    You are correct, the syrofoam cannot be left exposed due to off gassing in the case of a fire.

My did did his big shop in old barn roof steel. If he saw a barn being stripped he would stop in and offer cash for it. Got the whole place covered inside for a fraction of the cost of new. It does look “rustic” though.

He is doing his garage in plywood. But it had to be a certain thickness for code.

26ga White steel liner panel is actually reasonably inexpensive to begin with. My cost is under $2sf.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Good point - I do a lot of cutting,welding, grinding - my Walls have been completed but someone used a chip board in place of drywall - but for some reason the ceiling never was completed - I currently have batt insulation and vapour barrier but I like this idea with foam for the ceiling -
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

https://www.lowes.ca/product/kerosen...ter-330034757?

We have one like this at work. Seems to be pretty good on fuel. Only downside is that it is loud as heck when running. Cranks out a lot of heat quickly.

Woodstove = win

We insulated ours with 1.5 foam on the walls, coated in concrete and painted. Then insulation for the roof.. the roof made the biggest difference.

The worst part is the floors.. always cold. Thought about rubber tiles but they’re expensive and dunno how much they’d help.
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Woodstove = win

We insulated ours with 1.5 foam on the walls, coated in concrete and painted. Then insulation for the roof.. the roof made the biggest difference.

The worst part is the floors.. always cold. Thought about rubber tiles but they’re expensive and dunno how much they’d help.
    Woodstove is a great call if you can run the chimney. Hadn't thought of that. My wife for a bunch of play tiles made of foam at the dollar store. They'd probably help a bit with the floor although I doubt they'd hold up to chemicals all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Woodstove = win

I have the 3/4" thick rubber mats on my floor, does a good job keeping the cold out
    As for heat, used 60th btu NG furnace hanging on the wall, got it off Kijiji, probably the cheapest way to do it if you have a NG line close to your garage

Quote Originally Posted by USAWIT2 View Post
    ....cheapest way to do it if you have a NG line close to your garage
    key line being “have NG”
    -Don____________

Foxstang
    I have plenty of NG and my house has it too but that gets $$$