Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heating a non insulated garage?

Reviving this thread with a twist.

So has anyone used a 240V heater for their insulated garage. Something in the 5000-7500 watt range. How much of a pig would it be to keep a 2 car at maybe 5-10C

I was thinking it might be an option for a guy who only wants the garage above freezing all the time and could use propane to add quick heat for a wrenching day once or twice a week.

240 would be far better than trying it with a 120, but heating with electricity seems to be expensive. depending on rates and what not. IMO if your gonna spend the money on a decent electric heater id be looking for a ceiling mounted propane.
    i was under 2k installed for the one i put in the last garage. sized for a 2 car garage.

Spent price of a small country when I tried for a couple months some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Reviving this thread with a twist.

So has anyone used a 240V heater for their insulated garage. Something in the 5000-7500 watt range. How much of a pig would it be to keep a 2 car at maybe 5-10C

I was thinking it might be an option for a guy who only wants the garage above freezing all the time and could use propane to add quick heat for a wrenching day once or twice a week.
    I have some 240 base boards in the house (Basement) Had a few really cold winters and had to turn them on to help out when we heated with wood - my hydro bill was over $1000.00 a month - I don't know what the wattage is
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Yikes, I guess NG or propane is the only way to go.

I have a friend who just installed a 7500 watt garage heater last month for part time heating. I told him I thought it was going to be hungry. I guess we’ll see how he does with it.

My house and attached garage are electrically heated. All heaters are 240v. Garage is insulated but no drywall yet and has 2 wall-mounted units similar to ZR's post above (4800 watts each). I keep the garage heated to about 10C unless I need to work in it. Last 12 months cost $4173, so $347/mth average.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    My house and attached garage are electrically heated. All heaters are 240v. Garage is insulated but no drywall yet and has 2 wall-mounted units similar to ZR's post above (4800 watts each). I keep the garage heated to about 10C unless I need to work in it. Last 12 months cost $4173, so $347/mth average.
    Thats about my average for hydro without the base boards - have a pool and surprisingly it doesn't effect the hydro too much maybe 50$'s a month so my summer is a bit more then winter - we had air con installed last summer but it only ran occasionally when the High Commander was hot and bothered....lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Yikes, I guess NG or propane is the only way to go.

I have a friend who just installed a 7500 watt garage heater last month for part time heating. I told him I thought it was going to be hungry. I guess we’ll see how he does with it.
    if the government gets their way electricity will be the only option for every house - I think it's really important for everyone to get informed on the "net zero" plan - it is going to effect more than just cars - getting informed will help people make smart home buying decisions in the future - by 2030 big changes will be noticeable - some of the plan is in effect - if you neighbourhood has been suddenly reducing two lane roads and putting in bike lanes - that is part of the plan. cities themselves will be mandated to reach "net zero" during daily operations, I know in Brampton there's a plan to close some streets to traffic all together - this will also happen in Toronto and most if not all large cities - new building codes are already going into effect to make new home built more efficient - people will need to make huge improvements on existing homes - this in the end will really have an effect on resale value - if your dream is to own a century home (I love old buildings) people may want to rethink that - by 2050 I will be 88, I hope I live that long to see if the government reaches their mandate...lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd